Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worrying problem

Options
  • 27-11-2008 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭

It all started this morning when I recieved a user ID reminder email from Ebay which claimed I had requested my ID to be sent to my hotmail account even though I hadn't.

I did a quick check on google and it looked suspicious so I decided to change my hotmail password in case someone had somehow gotten my old one. I am usually always signed into the account but tonight I have been logged out for some reason and my new password is not logging me back in. I haven't been able to reset the password (it has been so long that I seem to have forgotten the security question and the alternative email address I provided is no longer in use).

This all looks very dodgy, Norton isn't finding anything suspicious on my laptop but something must be up. Anyone got any suggestions on what might be going on or for what I should do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

I very much doubt this is anything on your laptop - I'd say it's almost certainly a phishing attempt and that your hotmail account wasnt hacked either .
    Have you tried logging into hotmail with your old password in case the update to your account didnt 'take' ? Also the usual stuff like make sure caps lock isnt on , etc etc . Not much more you can do really other than keep trying both old and new passwords and try to get your secret question right :(
    You could try contacting hotmail support , of course . IOnly do this if you enjoy reading automated responses that have a slight relevance to your query .

From eBay's site
    What to do when you receive suspicious email

Do not send sensitive personal information using email. We will never ask you to send your account password or other confidential information, such as credit card numbers, in an email.

Never click on a link in an email if you are unsure of its origins, especially if the email asks for personal financial information. The purpose of spoof email is to lead you to a website and attempt to collect personal information and commit identity theft or other crimes.

When in doubt, go directly to the eBay website. Open a new browser window, type in the address of the eBay site on which you registered, sign-in, and use the "site map" link to navigate to where you want to go. For more information, see Recognising Fake eBay Websites. Make sure you sign out when you are finished, especially if you are using a public computer.

Report the email by forwarding the email to spoof@ebay.co.uk or spoof@ebay.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

nessyguin wrote: »
    I very much doubt this is anything on your laptop - I'd say it's almost certainly a phishing attempt and that your hotmail account wasnt hacked either .
    Have you tried logging into hotmail with your old password in case the update to your account didnt 'take' ? Also the usual stuff like make sure caps lock isnt on , etc etc . Not much more you can do really other than keep trying both old and new passwords and try to get your secret question right :(
    You could try contacting hotmail support , of course . IOnly do this if you enjoy reading automated responses that have a slight relevance to your query .

I have tried the old password and different variations using Caps Lock but to no avail. The only security question I am being asked is my favorite figure from history, I haven't a clue who I used for that but I have tried a few obvious ones, none have worked. If it was a more obvious question like my mother's maiden name or first pet's name I would have no trouble.

It is looking like I will have to lose my main email account, which is pretty bad because my main contact details for my friends is there, however I just hope nothing worse happens with regards to my ebay/paypal/bank account.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,171 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Do you use Firefox?
    It can (and might) have saved your password for you.

Advertisement