Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Superquinn Cheaper than Newry Promotion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

If anything this promotion shows how exepnsive their prices are. When they compare the Newry prices with their promtional prices you see how much more they're charging !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

I agree

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Why in most cases is the old pre promo price (i.e. the one that's crossed out) the same as the new promo price in red ? On the first page there's only 3 exceptions to that rule - 2 being superquinn cheddar and the other being Ariel washing powder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

and they have a limit of 3 of each item :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

and they have a limit of 3 of each item :mad:

I don't why they would do that this time as most of the "cheaper than newry" items aren't that cheap. At least with the back to the 70s promo there was some really good bargains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

Its a start but they are gonna have to do a bit better than that to get people shopping down here again.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭marrm

Just logged in to have a look at the Sq "bargains" - saw I owed them over €438 - apparently their system automatically put 1 of each item into my basket - CHEEKY. :eek::eek:

Decided not to proceed with checkout!:p:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

marrm wrote: »
    Just logged in to have a look at the Sq "bargains" - saw I owed them over €438 - apparently their system automatically put 1 of each item into my basket - CHEEKY. :eek::eek:

Same here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭johnnyboy4711

great for the consumer!
    j

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Not a good promotion and few bargains. They should have had a spend 100euro get 20euro off or somesuch. They are only highlighting the price differential and making consumers feel screwed rest of year etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

My first job was in a supermarket and even back in the cash strapped 80's, when the manager reduced some items, he put the price up on others to compensate. So I'm a bit cynical when I see these promotions as I wonder what was increased to cover the reductions on the promotional goods.

Lidl still has my business. They might be dearer than their counterpart stores in the north but its great to get a full weekly shopping for a family of 6 and still have change out of €100. The same trolleyload of goods would have cost us between €140 - €160 in Dunnes/Tescos 6 months ago before we switched to Lidl.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Superquinn are pretty vulnerable right now. Burke is in the Irish Times this morning not so subtly suggesting that he's going to be cutting jobs next year. When he bought Quinn out a few years ago the idea was to take the business up market away from Lidl, Aldi, etc. Even a few months ago they were on the news promoting €50 bottles of water! The recession has put an end to all that. These offers are just an attempt to get through Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

This promotion runs from the 27th to the 29th November. Does it mean after the 29th, they will have a "more expensive than Newry" promotion?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭whatsupdoc?

Or just Normal prices.......Won't they be the same then? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Yeah, they had it good in the Celtic Tiger "splash the cash" era but now that we are counting each and every scheckel, the likes of Superquinn just seem to be a little, no actually make that a lot dearer than the discounters.

Funny the difference a few months makes. I thought the €50 a bottle of water was pricey when it was announced a few months back. It now appears to be totally outrageous.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Even a few months ago they were on the news promoting €50 bottles of water! The recession has put an end to all that. These offers are just an attempt to get through Christmas.

They still have the €50 bottles of water. My wife and I were gobsmacked to see two different couples buying them while we were looking at the them in amazement one Saturday afternoon..........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭jaykay74

marrm wrote: »

Same here. Only went to their site to have a quick look and clicked on nothing :) Seems like I've shopped for over 400 euro. weird.

No. of items: 157
    Approx Cost: €438.96

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

superquinn are in big trouble imo

Roches Stores did the same thing, trying to be a Tescos-style supermarket and an M&S style supermarket at the same time

and where are they now???

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

superquinn are in big trouble imo

Roches Stores did the same thing, trying to be a Tescos-style supermarket and an M&S style supermarket at the same time

and where are they now???

I agree.
    They no longer carry the waitrose ranges and appear to be racing to the bottom- in a race they simply cannot afford, themselves, to win.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Would almost be worth going around their stores slapping stickers on the rest of their items saying 'X% dearer than Newry'. Or turning up outside their hq with a couple of trollies worth of shopping - one from SQ & one from Sainsbury's and highlighting the price difference - naturally one would need to make sure the media would be there too.

Almost worth it but ..

If the talked about takeover of Dunnes by Asda were to go ahead it'd most likely lead to an Asda/Tesco price war here and Superquinn would feel the pressure even more.

• Advertisement
Advertisement