Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you get out much at this time of year?

Options
  • 27-11-2008 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭

I only started during the summer but i used to get out 2 or 3 times a week if there were waves.
    Since the clocks changed its too dark in the evenings and its too cold to take my son (7, he bodyboards) with me at the weekends so i hardly ever get out.

off tomorrow though so looking forward to it.

also, is this forum a lot quieter than it was during the summer or is it just me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Yeah its quieter alright.

I generally try to get out as much as possible in the Winter (at least once a week) but i've been away this year. Reports from home are that its blown out more often than not because of the crappy weather though.

Ill be home at Christmas so ill be trying to get out a bit then. Get in my traditional Christmas day surf. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Don't get out as often as I'd like. I try to go surfing or windsurfing once a week now, although I managed to get out windsurfing 3-4 times a week during the summer. Not possible now with the short evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

i usually start work at 12pm. If there's waves ,we're at the beach at first light (which is getting later and later :mad: ). Nothing beats nice waves,watching the sunrise and some sweet rides :D

session tomorrow morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

Havent been able to get out much because most weekends have been too much of a wash out and the east coast has been pancake flat or unridable for the last few weeks. Beginning to get to me too.

Join me in a prayer for some nice clean swell sometime this side of the new year.

Amen.

K-

• Registered Users Posts: 44 mags345

ya the short evenings suck but only another few weeks before they start gettin longer again, when January comes we'll start to s em stretch again so not to worry, just hope this frosty weather doesnt stay long cos i was hopin to get out today and was told raods were trecherous so had to stay home :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Not since I came back from down under a couple months ago. Think the mental barriers are up (ie cold water, crap attempts at surfing, etc etc) at present.

Have taken steps to remedy this though, few of us gonna hit Clare for a weekend of surf, porter and mayhem (all good and mannerly of course) in the next couple of weeks. All beginners (I'm only surfing 1 year) at surfing - but experts at porter consumption - so a good time should be had by all.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Surfing_Xboxer

No not at all :( ... I dont start back till March time....Surfing is not a cold weather sport...Wetsuit or not :)

I was out a lot last winter, usually Fanore beach in Clare and Carrowmore and Carrownisky in Mayo usually staying in the water for 1hour15minutes. Didn't find the water temperature bad at all and I was only wearing a 3mm wetsuit... although as a beginner I think self-preservation kicks in and gets you through the cold.

Since returning it's different and I'm gonna have to get a 5mm suit. Mentally, flashbacks of warm Oz waters would probably give me a heart attack the second I'd enter Irish waters!

I just cant surf in cold weather after surfing in the canaries !!

I just cant surf in cold weather after surfing in the canaries !!

I'm disgusted at my lack of surfing this weather, although in my defense it does not help when I can't seem to cajole my couple surfing mates out too. I do not get into the water on my own as Fanore, Carrowmore and Carrownisky are quiet beaches and safety comes first. I don't mind taking chances if there's backup to get you out of it, but I'm not stupid enough to take risks on my own.

Plus it's alot colder.

• Advertisement

ROLL ON THE SUMMER

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

ROLL ON THE SUMMER

Amen to that.

By the way, where did you surf in the Canaries?

hey there

I was in Fuerte... Los LOBO and EL COtillo...Dear god , it rocks.....Love it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Happy days. Heading over in March...

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

I have kids and live in Meath but I try to get out west every two weeks minimum. If I was to wait for warm water I would go mad (and yeah, fuerto rocks). Was out last week and got brain freeze but it wore off after a minute. Has to be done.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Silversurfer!

Get out there as often as I can regardless of the cold weather the water is about 9C, only prob is gettin out of suit before hypothermia sets in LOL!! Got out 5days in a row early Feb then got RSI in the shoulders:(
    nothing to do with d cold though:p

Advertisement