Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accomodation in Sydney

Options
  • 27-11-2008 6:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

Hey all, Ive been in Sydney for the last two weeks and trying to find accommodation has been a nightmare, I've tried all the usual suspects - gumtree, domain.com.au and rent.com.au but no joy. They are four of us ( all guys, late 20's) and most places don't wanna touch us coz we've just arrived and haven't work yet and no references :( Anyone got any tips on what we can do for a place of our own, we've looked into house sharing, splitting up etc all the options available to us but nothing seems to come off for us. I don't wanna have to spend Christmas on Bondi Beach in a tent!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

cupthehand wrote: »
    Hey all, Ive been in Sydney for the last two weeks and trying to find accommodation has been a nightmare, I've tried all the usual suspects - gumtree, domain.com.au and rent.com.au but no joy. They are four of us ( all guys, late 20's) and most places don't wanna touch us coz we've just arrived and haven't work yet and no references :( Anyone got any tips on what we can do for a place of our own, we've looked into house sharing, splitting up etc all the options available to us but nothing seems to come off for us. I don't wanna have to spend Christmas on Bondi Beach in a tent!!!

Don't use an agency, as you said they won't go near you unless you have a job ... splitting may be you only option, i.e maybe groups of two etc

Just walk around the bondi/coogee/<area you want> and look out for signs of poles / news agents etc. (that is how I got my place in bondi) and keep ringing every place, try gumtree more than the others etc

and be patient

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cupthehand

Thats the thing patience is something we don't have because its getting a lil too close to Christmas for our liking! What about The Sydney Herald on a Saturday morning, they have a big property section.

cupthehand wrote: »
    Thats the thing patience is something we don't have because its getting a lil too close to Christmas for our liking! What about The Sydney Herald on a Saturday morning, they have a big property section.
    You could try, but if you want short term accommodation esp as a group then more likely not

do a google search for 'furnished property' or 'furnished apartments'

what areas you looking at? Just bondi/coogee?

Suggested areas paddington/darlington/surry hills (bus/train from the beach) pyrmont/ultimo/glebe (more nearer city than beach)

Looking at everywhere from Surrey Hills all the way out to Bondi, not too pushed where we stay once we get something.

I feel for ya, but as I said have a look out for signs of the street.
    back packer areas (near beaches/city) are prob the best bet

• Advertisement

hussey wrote: »
    I feel for ya, but as I said have a look out for signs of the street.
    back packer areas (near beaches/city) are prob the best bet

Me thinks we'll have our walking shoes on then tomorrow

thanks for all the advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Public transport is good in Sydney, would you not think of looking further south or west?
    The rental problem is mainly confined to the central city/suburbs. Its not great in other areas but you have a much better chance.
    Try Sutherland/Miranda/Caringbah/Cronulla.

Jumpy wrote: »
    Public transport is good in Sydney, would you not think of looking further south or west?
    The rental problem is mainly confined to the central city/suburbs. Its not great in other areas but you have a much better chance.
    Try Sutherland/Miranda/Caringbah/Cronulla.

Err don't .... not if you want to party in the city at the weekend. ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭lisaloo

You could try going down the road at Rivisys pub in Bondi, at the end of the road there is an Israeli restaurant, its beside a breakfast bar.Ask for Itzak. He gave me a house to rent when i was there. There is also a clothes shop across the road and they might be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

hussey wrote: »
    Err don't .... not if you want to party in the city at the weekend. ...

It didnt stop me. I also used to go to the local nightclubs, which are great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Sweet Afton

Advertisement