Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you transfer money home?

Options
  • 27-11-2008 4:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not a resident of NZ yet. I'll be applying in a few months. That means I can't have an NZ credit card or apply for a loan.

Which mean when I move house, sorting out furniture, paying for car repairs, christmas, holiday expenses, everything goes on my Irish credit card.

This leads to me sending a couple of hundred dollars here and there every couple of weeks back home by bank transfer.

Yesterday I sent asked to transfer NZ$300 back to Ireland. NZ$25 was taken out as a charge by my bank (ASB). The exchange rate they gave me left me with 119 Euro. AIB still need to take out their cut (E20) when it hits the other side.

So, at the end of it all. $300 gets me E100. :(

SUCKS!!!!

Does anyone send cash back by post? Is it safe?
    I'm fed up of giving so much to the banks.

*grumble*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭missannik

I haven't been in the position you are in, but I'm moving to Ireland in April so I have been giving this some thought as it will apply to me soon. Have you tried Paypal? I've been thinking that this is what I'll do, but I'm not sure if its the best idea. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Paypal is great. I use it to get paid from sales of my electronic books and find it reliable, really efficient and the charges quite low compared to my bank that charges me extortionate fees to cash American checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I do have a paypal account. Although its been years since I used it.

/paypal noob Q
    How do I send the money to my Paypal account?
    Does it have a unique number and all I do is transfer it from my NZ acc to it?

Rabies wrote: »
    I do have a paypal account. Although its been years since I used it.

/paypal noob Q
    How do I send the money to my Paypal account?
    Does it have a unique number and all I do is transfer it from my NZ acc to it?
    You only need the persons email address or mobile phone number to send money to them. At the other end they quickly sign up and transfer the funds into their bank account. Easy peasy Japanesey :)

Sorry misread ..

Must look into how to transfer from a bank a/c and get back to you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Yeah you can use paypal to take money out of your account (well in oz anyway) or CC.

and you can set it up so you can transfer to another CC/bank account

There will be a currency fee involved and then when you take money out there is a fee of 3euro if it is less than 100euro

by the sounds of it it might work out cheaper than banks
    https://www.paypal.com/ie/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-fees-outside

That pretty much answers it.

I use Paypal to get paid from overseas mostly the US and have never encountered a problem with it in years apart from the odd customer requesting cashbacks.

Worth looking into even to save on fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I send money online with ANZ. The exchange rate is so bad though it makes me cry.

I also get charged $25 to send it but AIB have never charged me for receiving it.

Double check that watna.
    The form you will out states that the destination account/owner pays the charges.

About E20 last time I did it.

Double check that watna.
    The form you will out states that the destination account/owner pays the charges.

About E20 last time I did it.

Just checked again. I've been transferring money once a month for the last 6 months and they haven't taken any fees off me at all.

• Advertisement

Then why the hell are they hitting me for it!!!

Argh!!!

Do you have a student account?

Then why the hell are they hitting me for it!!!

Argh!!!

Do you have a student account?

Nope. Normal current account.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

National Bank gave me a NZ credit card without any mention of visas, just got a lettter one day saying call this number if you want one. I did. Westpac have that visa debit card too, wouldnt that be a lot handier then using your Irish card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭dazzlermac

try www.hifx.co.nz heard they are good and competetive rates

• Registered Users Posts: 25,844 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

pclancy wrote: »
    National Bank gave me a NZ credit card without any mention of visas, just got a lettter one day saying call this number if you want one. I did. Westpac have that visa debit card too, wouldnt that be a lot handier then using your Irish card?

+1

If you are living and working in NZ, I would be very surprised if they won't let you have a credit card. I'm living in Ireland, and happily have cc'd from both NZ and Irish banks.

Don't confuse "residency" (an immigration status) with "being resident" (living in).

When I applied for one with ANZ I was told you had to be a permanent resident (i.e. not on a work permit) to get a credit card. If you were on a work permit you had to earn over a certain amount. I think it's about $80,000.

Luckily for me, I got a corporate card with work which we can use for personal spending. I just use that and then pay work back for it every month.

Advertisement