Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to Power a 4th Fan?

Options
  • 26-11-2008 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭

I ahve a gigabyte 3d Aurora case, Usually my gpu's idol at around 78-82'C however today i took off the side panel for about 20mins and the temp dropped to 60'C, i have 2 8800gtx in the case and i they do get fairly hot at times.
    Does anyone think its safe to leave the side panel off when gaming?

Or even better if i were to install a 4th fan in the computer how would i go about powering it, retro fitting it is no problem as i have my ideas!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Hogzy wrote: »
    I ahve a gigabyte 3d Aurora case, Usually my gpu's idol at around 78-82'C however today i took off the side panel for about 20mins and the temp dropped to 60'C, i have 2 8800gtx in the case and i they do get fairly hot at times.

Or even better if i were to install a 4th fan in the computer how would i go about powering it, retro fitting it is no problem as i have my ideas!!!

If you've no power headers left on the board, you can easily get adapters to connect them to the 4 pin drive power connectors instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Spear wrote: »
    If you've no power headers left on the board, you can easily get adapters to connect them to the 4 pin drive power connectors instead.

Thats what i was wondering, i looked at my manual to locate the plugs and then looked at the mobo but no free ones left, where could i get the adapters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

i know this isn't really answering your question, but with a rig like that would you not consider investing in a liquid cooling system??

i know this isn't really answering your question, but with a rig like that would you not consider investing in a liquid cooling system??

TBH im afraid of the thoguht of it...
    Im considering it for my cpu but dunno if i would have the 'know-how' to install it for the GPU's... is it hard?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Thats what i was wondering, i looked at my manual to locate the plugs and then looked at the mobo but no free ones left, where could i get the adapters?

An example (don't actually buy from Overclockers though)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CB-007-GE&groupid=701&catid=48&subcat=153&name=Akasa%203-Pin%20to%204-Pin%20Adapter%20Cable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭nobeastsofierce

Not a good idea. Sure, lots of us have done it lots for ease of access, but it doesn't keep it cooler. If it did, the game rig makers would put mesh side panels on machines.

Basically the airflow inside a machine is (/should be if building from scratch) designed to pass cool air over the hottest parts of the machine. Any extra openings, will only slow down this airstream.

If your car was overheating, you wouldn't fix it by removing the bonnet

TBH im afraid of the thoguht of it...
    Im considering it for my cpu but dunno if i would have the 'know-how' to install it for the GPU's... is it hard?

not at all...just don't overfill the resevoir. leave room for liquid expansion. my buddy learned this the hard way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

You can pick up a splitter cable in Maplin & just put it between one of the existing connectors on one of the big fans.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Not a good idea. Sure, lots of us have done it lots for ease of access, but it doesn't keep it cooler. If it did, the game rig makers would put mesh side panels on machines.

Basically the airflow inside a machine is (/should be if building from scratch) designed to pass cool air over the hottest parts of the machine. Any extra openings, will only slow down this airstream.

If your car was overheating, you wouldn't fix it by removing the bonnet

But im getting readings of 10-20 degrees lower on ALL components. think im gonna stop it anyway and install a new liquid cooling sys...Anyone wanna give a coupla bob???:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭burtyburr

...Usually my gpu's idol at around 78-82'C...

Wow.It has been a while since me modding and gameing days but that seems kinda high. Am I wrong?
    Any chance of a pic of your the inside of your case.
    If you temp is dropping by 20 degress with the side open then there must be a problem with your air flow. Either your intake/outflow must be screwed up.

• Advertisement

ya my intake fan is SH1T... the rpm is terrible...
    ill load up some pix there!!!

Sorry about the quality... taken with a nokia!

Image006.jpg

Image007.jpg

Image008.jpg

totally off the point here but that's not bad for a phone!!

anyway...have you considered the liquid cooling?? a rig like that would be very easy to hook up an well worth it.

Well if i do go liquid i think im only gonna do it for the CPU, i heard that taking the fan off the GPU invalidates the warrantly which isnt an option. However thats where my problem is. if you look at the picturs the bottom gpu is really close to the bottom of the case and thats where the heat is, when i take off the side panel it can escape no problem...

Would a new CPU fancooler do a good job considering how much cheaper it is and less hassle!

Advertisement