Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wtf is goin on?? Desktop Shortcuts magically move around?

Options
  • 26-11-2008 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

I was on my pc, went away for 20 mins for my dinner and came back to see my bottom 9 Desktop shortcuts moved down 1 line leaving a gap at the bottom of my shortcuts.

This has happened numerous ammount of times and its so annoying?

And NO1 Touched the p.c!!
    Help Wtf is goin on why are my shortcuts moving around??

See picture to see what I mean, this is how they appeared when I got back.
    untitled-4.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

How many hugs have you got in that folder? Im sure a few of us could do with some. Stop hogging and start sharing!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

How many hugs have you got in that folder? Im sure a few of us could do with some. Stop hogging and start sharing!

Agreed, I deserve some hugs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

HAHA VERY FUNNY.

That still doesnt explain my Weird acting computer...;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Are you playing any fullscreen games that are not running at your desktop's native res?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Did you remote desktop into the computer?

Something similar happened to me when I mstsc'd in, It would fit the icons to the reduced resolution of the remote session.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Sean_K wrote: »
    Did you remote desktop into the computer?
    Pain in the arse isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

jmccrohan wrote: »
    Pain in the arse isn't it?

It killed me every time.

/edit: Although if you already had an active local session OP, I think the icons should have stayed put.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

Are you playing any fullscreen games that are not running at your desktop's native res?

Im playing a fullscreen game, it shud b at my desktop's native res! It always has been....:confused::confused::confused:

BaRcOe wrote: »
    Im playing a fullscreen game, it shud b at my desktop's native res! It always has been....:confused::confused::confused:
    The manufacturers logo video thingy (someone come up with a proper name please.. this just makes me look supid) might not be..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Is your Desktop Cleanup Wizard enabled?

Right click blank space on Desktop
    Properties
    Desktop TAB
    Customise Desktop button
    Uncheck (Run Desktop Cleanup Wizard)

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

BaRcOe wrote: »
    HAHA VERY FUNNY.

That still doesnt explain my Weird acting computer...;)

Ok,

/puts thinking Hat on.

Looking at this logically, this is a common problem of a resize of the screen resolution.

What we know(part assumption).

You were at the desktop, left it for 20 minutes and came back to the icons moved. So, what changed the resolution would have had to have been a automatic process on a timer.

That pretty much leaves 2 basic options.

*Your screen saver did it.

*Somebody broke into your room and while stealing hugs moved the icons around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

The manufacturers logo video thingy (someone come up with a proper name please.. this just makes me look supid) might not be..

Splash Screen?

Soundman wrote: »
    Splash Screen?

Bingo :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Games always cause icons to do that, also if your hot swapping screens it'll cause that too..... 1 quick fix would be to clean your dam desktop. create a folder called shortcuts and stick everything non essential in there!

Advertisement