Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bonjour DNS?

Options
  • 26-11-2008 6:30pm

everytime i start up my computer, i keep getting a popup from my antivirus saying that something called 'bonjour DNS!' has been blocked. what is this and is it something to worry about? [what can be done]
    i'm also concerned that along with this, something else has gotten in, as my computer keeps restarting instead of shutting down. sometimes it just sticks on the 'shutting down' screen until we unplug the entire machine

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,252 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Yeah that sounds not-good. Head over to the virus and malware removal forum under the Tech category, and follow the step by step instructions posted on the forum's sticky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Bonjour is an Apple application, usually installed with iTunes, used as a "zero configuration" networking backend. Its what drives library sharing discovery on iTunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,252 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Like I said, "Not Good" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Bonjour is an Apple application, usually installed with iTunes, used as a "zero configuration" networking backend. Its what drives library sharing discovery on iTunes.
    Except I believe this is called mDNSResponder, not "Bonjour DNS".
    It's a little bit suspicious. Can your antivirus/firewall tell you the name of the exe that made the request?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

mdsnresponder.exe is the name of the executable, however Bonjour! is the name commonly associated with the service. It is legitimate. As has been said it is a service discovery protocol. Think of it as Apple's answer to Plug and Play.

OP, you do not need to worry about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

syklops wrote: »
    mdsnresponder.exe is the name of the executable, however Bonjour! is the name commonly associated with the service. It is legitimate. As has been said it is a service discovery protocol. Think of it as Apple's answer to Plug and Play.

OP, you do not need to worry about it.

correct if you pull up taskmanager it will have bonjour in the description of the service.

Its safe but annoying. you can manually remove it but why bother when there is a nice tool for getting rid of it HERE ;)

EDIT: OP removing it should not effect iTunes if you use that or quicktime etc.

Advertisement