Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Winter Gloves

Options
  • 26-11-2008 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭

For someone gets cold fingers, what's the warmest gloves out there? Something suitable for the bike, of course.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

There are Altura winter gloves, one sec while I get a link:

Altura glove

Or the usual Dhb stuff, I haven't got these gloves but I imagine its like all their stuff:

DHB Glove

EDIT: You seem to be on some sort of thread starting rampage, I can't keep up!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I have these ones. I find them too warm a lot of the time, but appreciate them descending on cold days. You probably feel the cold more than me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

... maybe eat loads of mince pies and do not exercice your fingers and get them nice and fat for the winter ... if that doesn't work ... I have merino wool glove liners that really worked well in the alpes ...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

What Caroline says, I have those very dhb gloves (actually the supposedly waterproof version) and my hands can can get cold in them- particularly if they get wet. With glove liners (silk in my case) they stay toasty warm. Glove liners give you more options depending on the temperature too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Thanks guys. At the moment I have some windproof liners from Gore which do a half decent job. I think I'll try the merino ones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭bunnygreen

i use a pair of sealskinz which are good but as caroline says its the merino wool undergloves that really make the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

I have faffed for about 2 months about which gloves to get .... i went for these ones for no good reason other than I had to make a decision http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Pearl_Izumi_Gavia_Winter_Gloves/5360038027/
    They are called winter gloves but wiggle say they are suitable for autumn and spring so heaven knows what they'll be like . They were shipped monday so i'll let you know when I get them..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Junior

I'm rocking a pair of these - Nike Gloves

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I had lobsters before (the Cannondale ones); the concept does work. Thanks for the link Bedlam, they seem really cheap (they way I like 'em.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

I bought the ones in Lidl a while back and they keep my hands toasty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Raam wrote: »
    what's the warmest gloves out there?
    Warmest is a different story to some posted. There is obviously a trade off in dexterity & warmth.

For the warmest check out the ski gloves in the snow section on CRC.

I have these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=8995
    for normal cold days. still quite tactile.

Then these for cold days
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=6046

These were large or extra large. Very warm, it is like having your hands in sleeping bags! they are so roomy inside. On the coldest days last year I would wear 2 pairs of gloves and the mitts on the outside. I have thin gloves I wear almost all year round, mainly for protection if I fall (dunno why people only worry about their heads, I do not wear a helmet). I have the thin ones, then a larger size of the thin ones, then the mitts.

Once I had the thin ones, the winter technicals, and the mitts on top, but not cycling, had feck all movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭cipo

i think the real test for gloves will be this weekend !! ouch.

i always go with a liner glove underneath these http://probikekit.com/display.php?code=C0115

then a lobster style glove over the top if its bitin cold / snow !!!

the thin glove always surprises people especially in the rain, it doesnt hold rain, easily squeezed away with a clenched fist !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

... maybe eat loads of mince pies and do not exercice your fingers and get them nice and fat for the winter ... if that doesn't work ... I have merino wool glove liners that really worked well in the alpes ...

In conjunction with my gloves I seem to remember :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Liners are great. The thin gloves I have are just really liners, I have even worn latex gloves in the rain and stayed a bit warmer. It is like clothes, if you have layers and layers on it is warmer than just one layer of the equivalent weight. The air is trapped between each layer and warms up. The latex ones act sort of like a wetsuit when you start to sweat, warming the moisture and holding it close.

If your gloves are not waterproof you could get extra large latex gloves or washing up gloves (they do black ones now, so you don't look like a nutter) to go over them.

I have seen electrically heated gloves, but they tended to be gimmicky on gloves with regular/poor materials.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Maplin electronics are selling the gimmicky electronically heated glove at the moment.

I found the Altura windproof glove was better then the waterproof one, it is a bit lighter but the waterproof one gets waterlogged in the rain (I'm not making this up) whilst the windproof one lets the water through.

A big steaming bowl of porridge before starting out is a great handwarmer too:)

bedlam wrote: »
    Try 'Lobster' Gloves or mittens, keeping your fingers together allows body heat to warm the digits. Mittens will offer less control over gear changing so probably not as ideal

Pearl Izumi Lobster gloves
    Endura Tundra Lobster gloves
    Cannondale 3 season gloves
    Sealskinz Mittens

Those lobsters look the biz.

endura%20tundra%20lobster%20med.jpg

So we get to call you Zoidberg?

So we get to call you Zoidberg?

Can I get a ruling on the Euroness of those gloves?

Can I get a ruling on the Euroness of those gloves?

Not euro at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I am using some Altura, windproof, waterproof, thinsulated with 40gram insulation.. and i find them.. useless. My fingers were freaking cold in the morning! (can't find a pic though!)

Anyone got links for decent liners?

Advertisement