Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retrive Data from RAID Disks with Ext2

Options
  • 26-11-2008 3:20pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,942 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I had a NAS setup with raid1 and formatted as ext2.
    Now my NAS has died (Second feckin one) and I want to get the data off the disks.
    Is there any thing different I have to do as they were in RAID?
    I know I prob will need a live CD to boot of the see the drives if I connect them to my PC in a caddy

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

The question is.....in what way were they raided? Was it linux software raid? Or some proprietary controller in the NAS?

edit: Hmmm. I see that they're raid1'd. In that case you might just be able to mount them in a livecd. That's worth trying first.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,942 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Cheers - I had them in a ICY Box which gave up last night.
    I'm not too familiar with raid setup's so if I take one drive out and stick it in a caddy could I mount it - or do I need both?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Put them into a caddy or directly into a machine. Boot off a live-cd(Linux) and you should be able to see the data. In order to use the NAS again, you need to transfer the data off, rebuilt the aray with the new disks and transfer it back on. From my knowledge it won't rebuilt the raid array and replace the lost data itself.

Cheers - will give it a shot tonight

Edit: Do you mean both or would one work?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

One should work. If you had raid 1 then they'd just be mirrors of each other.

• Advertisement

That's wat I thought - Just wanted to be sure as I read some stuff about people having difficulty, but could have been a different RAID setup.... SPAN or the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

mik_da_man wrote: »
    That's wat I thought - Just wanted to be sure as I read some stuff about people having difficulty, but could have been a different RAID setup.... SPAN or the like.

Was the total storage capacity roughly equal to the amount of drives? If it was RAID1, you shouldn't need to rebuild the array to access the data.

Yeah I had RAID1 set up, with 2 1TB Drives
    I found this tool http://www.fs-driver.org/index.html
    Very handy, just popped the drive in a docking station and ran the program, assigned some drive letters and had access to all my data.
    No need for the Live CD

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Yeah I had RAID1 set up, with 2 1TB Drives
    I found this tool http://www.fs-driver.org/index.html
    Very handy, just popped the drive in a docking station and ran the program, assigned some drive letters and had access to all my data.
    No need for the Live CD

If you don't mind me asking, what 1TB drivers did you use? I know from personal experience that the icybox 4220 hates Samsung spinpoints.

You guessed it - Samsung Spinpoints :)
    Gonna get a Seagate and a WD one to repalce them
    Pity I didn't find the wiki before I bought the Sammy drives...

Also a pity that where I bought the ICY Box didn't mention the sammy drive issue on the product page.

• Advertisement
Advertisement