Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedal Down Windy Hills

Options
  • 26-11-2008 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭

As read here: http://www.roadbikerider.com/currentissue.htm
    ---Quick Tip: Pedal Down Windy Hills. Your bike will be more stable on descents if you're applying even a little power to the rear wheel. On a calm day this isn't too critical. You can just soft pedal to keep your legs loose and be ready to pour on the coals if you need to for any reason (like a dog suddenly giving chase). But especially on a windy day when you're being buffeted on descents, shifting to a high gear and pedaling will give you a noticeable edge in stability. Coasting, on the other hand, lets the wind push you farther off your line.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I find on certain sections of the Sally Gap, in particular: heading towards the cross roads from Glencree on a slight downhill part, that I can get blown all over the place on windy days. Given that most days up there are windy, it's not much fun, and I've nearly gone into the ditch a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

Raam wrote: »
    I find on certain sections of the Sally Gap, in particular: heading towards the cross roads from Glencree on a slight downhill part, that I can get blown all over the place on windy days. Given that most days up there are windy, it's not much fun, and I've nearly gone into the ditch a few times.

Get some meat on dem bones

• Registered Users Posts: 6,499 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I expect that moving the legs creates some stabilising inertia.

In the movie 187 they showed an experiment where a spinning bike wheel held by a student on a swivel chair, spun the chair.
    Spinning wheels and legs will stabilise you.

Advertisement