Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing Desktop on Windows XP boot up !

Options
  • 26-11-2008 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭

While trying to update McAfee anti virus on a laptop with Windows XP - I got a Vstskmgr.exe error message which stopped the laptop loading the desktop and the machine hung with most resources being used by mcshield

I rebooted the machine in safe mode with command prompt and deleted the vstskmgr.exe from the registry. Windows xp looks as if it is booting normally except that the desktop with my computer icons , start etc is missing .

If I open task manager and start a new application I can access all files as before . I haven't come across this problem previously . It is like some sort of missing links problem that stops the desktop loading !

Anyone any ideas on how to solve this issue! I have run scan disk etc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

Try running a repair option with a Windows XP installation disc. One may have came with the PC at the time of purchase.

XP Repair Guide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Solved problem ! Used msconfig to reset to earlier restore point and got stable system again.

Advertisement