Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Numark 5000fx or Korg km402? Techno and scratching

Options
  • 26-11-2008 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭

Im lookin at gettin a new mixer. These 2 are the ones i like the look of most. I play mostly techno and do a little bit of scratching but my aim is to incorporate some hard step type scratching ( Bambam/ Space Djz kinda thing) using the fx. I use vinyl only because i cant bother me hole learning to use Ableton or whatever although that may change in the future but not foreseeable just now. I'm on a budget of 500 or less and both mixers are nicely in this range so any ideas anyone?
    Which one will last longer?
    Which one has quicker X fader movement?
    Which has better fx control? Is it possible to scratch a sample on the kaoss pad on the Km402 the same way you can on the 5000fx?
    Is the scratch effect on the 5000fx sh1te?
    I know loads of people will tell me to get a pioneer but i like to be different, even if i'm not always right. I'll be buying online and havent had a chance to actually try out either of them.
    Oh ya, I'll be ordering on friday so i get it in time for my birthday in 2 weeks. So .....???
    Cheers for any input

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Korg gets my vote

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

get a urei 1601 - they're dirt cheap and wicked

if you get the one without the sampler or FX they're even cheaper and they have a lovely uncluttered faceplate for scratching.. (you want a very simple mixer for scratching so there's no knobs and what not to get in the way of your hands when you're doing rapid movements)

the urei 1601 has replacable penny and giles faders (the best one) and a lovely sound out of it, i got mine off htfr for around 300 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Had a look at the urei too. Nice lookin piece of kit. As regards the scratching, what i want to do is have a track playing and then as the vocal comes in start scratching the vocal without interfering with the track itself so when i've done the scratch , flick the switch and the tune just continues as it was before. Have a listen to this mix about to see what kind of thing i mean.
    http://www.mediafire.com/?0mgngmz0cxs
    Its probably not the best example but you'll get the idea

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

well that's pretty much the basic technique of scratching, yes.

you'll be able to do that with pretty much any mixer, but some are better than others in terms of ease of use and build quality

every single scratch dj i've ever known has had to replace their mixer - or the faders in it - on a pretty much annual basis because of all the abuse the faders gets (especially the crossfader) so make sure whatever mixer you get has fully replacable - ideally by you - up and cross faders.

secondly, look out for mixers that have a large and clutter free faceplate around the faders and nice big EQ knobs - your hands will be moving fast and you don't want **** getting in the way and you want to be able to grab a knob and twist it in a serious hurry

thirdly - scratch dj's don't eq the way club dj's do, often a scratch head will use the eq more to "sharpen" a chirp or to remove rumble from a breakbeat rather than making use of the eq's for a drawn out blend between two records - some of the Vestax mixers only have two bands of EQ as a result, whereas the Allen and Heath ranges of club mixers have four.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

The urei prices cant be beaten right now.

been meaning to pick up a 1603. Must get it done.

• Advertisement

sorry cm tranny ,
    what i mean is that i want to be able to scratch the track without touching the record i.e. instantly capture and manipulate a sample to make it sound like i'm scratching it. i think you can do something similar on cdjs but i'm lookin for a way of doin it on vinyl. i can scratch a bit as it is but i want to try this approach to give my sets a bit of a thump in the rump. otherwise i'd need 2 copies of a track to achieve the effect i want. if i had serrato or final scratch i'd have no problems but i dont so i'm lookin at diferent ways of doin it. my old mixer is a technics sh dj1200 scratch mixer that i bought with the decks and even though i only really started to actually scratch in the last year or so i've never been too big into long smooth progressive blending of my tracks due to only having 2 eq's. i like to just keep choppin and changing but i do it for my own pleasure so i'm not too bothered . the old one still workin but is beginnin to bleed a bit and needs a few knobs replaced so i just fancy gettin a new one while i still have a job to pay for it
    mind you i'm beginning to look closer at the urei. price is very appealing right now but i do kind of want a touch pad or wheel or manual control interface or whatever ya call it if possible

cheers for that about the repleceable X fader, hadn't fully thought that through re. the korg and numark
    must check it out
    and the numark is beginning to look a bit more cluttered than the korg, although that might just be due to the brighter colour
    hmmmmmmmm
    anyway tomoro is supposed to be makey mind up day so if you have any other points for me to think about they'd be much appreciated

just ordered the numark. 289 stg, dolphin music. reckoned it had pretty much what i was lookin for re. the scratchin effect. cheers for the input. made upmy mind after watchin the review on you tube from HTFR

Advertisement