Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multimedia harddrive problem

Options
  • 25-11-2008 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Hope I can get some help. My motherboard on my multimedia harddrive appears to be dead, burnt smell heat damage...but I think the hard drive itself is fine..
    Now before I go buying another enclosure i want to check is the hard drive ok (two years of work on it) and test it in another external drive enclosure.

I just want to know what the deal is with the power readings on the back of the hard drives.

The HDD Im checking says 5VDC --- 0.68A and 12VDC ---0.55A while the at the back of the other HDD in the enclosure says 5VDC ---0.65A and 12VDC ---0.90A

Will it be ok to test the HDD in the other enclosure ???

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

I don't see any reason why not. That current is the usage of the HDD, but the power supply should be able to power around that without a bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

I gave it a go last night, worked out fine, just kept a close watch for any burning smells or grinding sounds :)

Advertisement