Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

work in perth

Options
  • 25-11-2008 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭

hey everyone im a regular reader seldom poster:)

anyway me and the misus are movin to perth in febuary and she is in accounts(not an accountant) and i am a carpenter.will we find it difficult to find work?cause we have a limited budget and will need to start work within at most two weeks of landing....any advice appreciated...thanks in advance:)
    is it still as busy now as what it has been for the last couple of years....cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭hertz

My advise is to start looking on job websites before you leave Ireland. Register with as many recruitmant agencies as you can. It can take a while for agencies to call you with a potential job, you often have to keep calling them to remind your still looking for work. Even call them on Skype before you leave Ireland and explain your situation that you are Irish and what your expectations are.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

dazzlermac wrote: »
    hey everyone im a regular reader seldom poster:)

anyway me and the misus are movin to perth in febuary and she is in accounts(not an accountant) and i am a carpenter.will we find it difficult to find work?cause we have a limited budget and will need to start work within at most two weeks of landing....any advice appreciated...thanks in advance:)
    is it still as busy now as what it has been for the last couple of years....cheers

Industries are not as busy as they once were as everyone is fearing a recession. There are still jobs by all means but companies are a lot more cautious than they were.

I can't really comment much on your specific areas but I will say that you will be very, very lucky to be employed in your chosen sectors within two weeks.
    hertz wrote: »
    My advise is to start looking on job websites before you leave Ireland. Register with as many recruitmant agencies as you can. It can take a while for agencies to call you with a potential job, you often have to keep calling them to remind your still looking for work. Even call them on Skype before you leave Ireland and explain your situation that you are Irish and what your expectations are.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - DO NOT GO NEAR RECRUITMENT AGENCIES!!!

They have their own agendas and do not put your best interests first. Seriously they are a complete waste of time and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

hertz wrote: »

This is bad advice, R.A are only after one thing, commission ... they'll have zero interest and won't send your cv around until you come to Australia

They'll nod their head and say 'Oh yeah lots of jobs' and throw your cv to one side until you land in Oz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 edmeistere

Word of advice, avoid agenies like the plague!! The subbies who use them are no better, and work will be below your expectations. They are a last resort.

Reliable work can be difficult to find, but good advice would be to use a subbie for as long asit takes to learn the ropes (irish subibes generally like a good arselicker), then make the sacrifice and go it alone.

Best of luck!!;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I don't know where this agency thing is coming from. I've contracted all over the place and while I found they were bullsh*t before I had much experience, I've had no problems with them lately. In Wellington and Melbourne and now Perth I've been put in jobs with really good money (especially in perth) and have had no problems with them at all. Maybe it's the line of work y'all above are in or something but I work with lots of people who go through the same agency and other ones and none of us have any complaints.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭dazzlermac

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Industries are not as busy as they once were as everyone is fearing a recession. There are still jobs by all means but companies are a lot more cautious than they were.

I can't really comment much on your specific areas but I will say that you will be very, very lucky to be employed in your chosen sectors within two weeks.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - DO NOT GO NEAR RECRUITMENT AGENCIES!!!

They have their own agendas and do not put your best interests first. Seriously they are a complete waste of time and money.

thanks to everone for advice please keep it coming i need it:D
    would i really be waiting more than 2 weeks to get a job in construction??:(
    i shall steer clear of RA thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Maybe, maybe not. I'm not directly involved in that industry, though I think you should be fine getting some labouring straight away.

It will be easier for you than her to get started I'd say.

Advertisement