Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reassurance??

Options
  • 25-11-2008 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Went into Rotunda for routine antenatal appointment today and was seen to by a doctor (which is weird as I usually see the midwife in the midwives clinic...), anyways, he measured baby with a measuring tape and asked if baby was active.

I told him baby was active, well, cos he is, never stops leaping about in my stomach... he told me that he wanted to scan me within the next week and to come back to the clinic next Tuesday after my scan.

I thought nothing of it and he wrote a referral for the scan and sent me on my way.

As I was making the appointment for the ultrasound with the girl at the outpatients desk she said "oh, you're small for your dates..." and I was like "Am I?" and she said "Yes, that's what it says here" (on the referral letter).

I'm a bit paranoid now and don't know what to do... could there be something wrong with my baby?? I'm 37+4...

Adrieanne

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭TargetWidow

Silly to say this because you are bound to worry but really there isn't anything you can do except relax and think positive thoughts and think that they are just being cautious. You are nearly there and maybe you just have a lovely small little baba that will be really easy to deliver! I wish you the very best of luck. Now go enjoy a lovely soak in the bath for at least an hour because soon that will be a major luxury! Keep us posted. We'll be thinking of you. xxx;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Lillyella

Your bump might be a bit small, but that doesn't mean the baby necessarily is.

You're nearly full term now, seriously, its not something to get very worried about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Adrienne - if he was worried he'd have had you in and scanned there and then. Remember that and try not to worry. Probably routine if you are measuring small. Hugs

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

Aw try not to worry.

On my first they thought I was too big and they sent me for a scan. And everything was fine. She was 8lbs 13oz when born.

On my second they told me the baby was average and she was 11lbs 2 oz!
    So try not to worry. Measuring the bump with a tape isn't a good indicator of anything. I bet it's all ok. And as Grawns said, if he was really worried he'd have had you up for a scan straight away. Everything else has been fine so far. Perhaps they just want to check that the dates are right.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The measuring tape measurements aren't 100% accurate.
    I have measure small once and big the rest of the time by the GP and I asked the consultant about it,he said there was nothing to worry about .
    They are just doing a scan to be safe and on the + side you get to see your little baby again:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I don't think that girl should have made that comment, even if it said it on the referral letter. She can't exactly answer all the questions it raises. I would have complained about her (but I'm a bit like that anyway :p)
    I definitely would say all is fine, nothing to worry about. They just have to do these checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

they told me i was big for dates and baby was 7lb 13 :confused:.

try not to worry and enjoy the extra scan!!!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Update,
    Went for scan today, baby is grand! Measuring about 7 pounds (2.9kilos) so all happy! They said it's not the biggest baby in the world, but they're happy (Jebus what do they want a 9 pounder???? No thank you!!).

I worry for nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

That's brilliant news :D

Advertisement