Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead hard drive?

Options
  • 25-11-2008 7:29pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was just playing around with an old IDE hard drive today. I converted it to a dynamic drive to use it as a mirror of an identical drive. However for some reason the dead one was showing slightly smaller capacity than the one with the OS was on so I gave up and put it back in it's PC and....nothing. <Unknown device> in the BIOS. It did show up in device manager connected with a USB adapter. Have I killed it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 dubfir

Not sure if its any help but Dynamic disks are only compatible with windows 2000 and xp. Check out http://www.theeldergeek.com/hard_drives_10.htm

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

anything I can try?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 dubfir

Try putting it back in the pc you converted it originally and see if there is an option to convert it back..... You may lose all the data doing that though... Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

If you BIOS isn't recognising the hardware, it sounds like you're out of luck.
    It doesn't matter how you partition the disk, format the disk, or cram it with pr0n, if it's not showing in the BIOS, something is wrong.

Try another PC, I've had terabyte disks not being detected by my SATA cards on more than one occasion.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Yep I've tried it in a few at this stage. Oh well. Thanks guys

• Advertisement
Advertisement