Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front fork is "wiggling" in the frame

Options
  • 25-11-2008 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

Hey,

My front fork in my Trek 1.5, for lack of better word, is wiggling back and forth with a little effort inside the frame.

Is there a screw that I need to tighten to stop this?

Also I'm surprised this has happened as the bike's been indoors and hardly used in the last month or two.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Either your headset is loose or your headset bearings are screwed.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Tighten the bolt on the top cap of the headset. Be sure to loosen the stem bolts first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

72hundred wrote: »
    Hey,

My front fork in my Trek 1.5, for lack of better word, is wiggling back and forth with a little effort inside the frame.

Is there a screw that I need to tighten to stop this?

Also I'm surprised this has happened as the bike's been indoors and hardly used in the last month or two.

There's a screw that goes through the headset cap, trying tightening that. It takes a 5mm allen key.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Sounds like your headset is just a bit loose. Tighted the bolt at the top, if that doesn't work remove this top bolt and tighten the inner bolt (you'll it when you take off the top bolt).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Perfect!

Many thanks for the help, just did as recommended and took it off and back on. The piece above the bearings had slipped out. All sorted now and back tight again.

Many thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Sounds like your headset is just a bit loose. Tighted the bolt at the top, if that doesn't work remove this top bolt and tighten the inner bolt (you'll it when you take off the top bolt).
    Inner bolt? Never heard of an inner bolt before - pics!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

kenmc wrote: »
    Inner bolt? Never heard of an inner bolt before - pics!!!

The inner bolt is more of a concept, a feeling.

Advertisement