Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compressing music on iTunes

Options
  • 25-11-2008 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi, ive just filled up my iPod (30GB) and wondering is there any way I can compress my music files so I can squeeze more albums on it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yeah, there should be options for bitrates etc. If you have them as mp3 many will save at 196kbps, I do most of mine at 128kbps so will fit more. I would not go below 128kbps unless it was audio books or something. Not sure of the standards for ipod format music.

I think you could further compress what you have but you are far better off doing it from the originals, otherwise it is like taking photocopies of photocopies. e.g. you could probably get software to convert a 196kbps to a 128kbps file, but the quality would be better if ripped to 128 straight off.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pauro 76

I just checked, and my tunes are all at 128. If I drop them all down to 96 will there be a noticeable difference in quality?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

pauro 76 wrote: »
    I just checked, and my tunes are all at 128. If I drop them all down to 96 will there be a noticeable difference in quality?

try it on one or 2 and see how you go, make backups first if you are converting a 128 into 96. Many audiophiles will claim to tell the difference between 256 & 196, but in a blind test I doubt many can, especially without highend equipment. Personally I would not drop below 128 yet have and do listen to stuff at 96. i.e. I would not rip at 96 given the chance, if at 96 I live with it. Like I said it would be best to rip all over again to 96

I have decent shure earphones and can tell differences, if using the standard stock ipod phones I doubt many could tell 196 from 128. It also is said to depend on the encoder etc, the actual software used to compress. e.g. photoshop will make a better attempt of a compressed jpeg than some freeware graphics software.

Sometime I question whether I should have done all mine in 196 though... memory is cheap these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Delete all and any album artwork, it can take up hundreds of megs.
    Transcode your music down if your ears can cope with it, and use VBR instead of CBR.
    You can't "compress" music any further, mp3s are already compressed binary data, you can't squeeze more out, and your ipod wouldn't be able to play from archives in any case.

Advertisement