Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which CMS to use?

Options
  • 25-11-2008 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

I need to create a 20 page or so website for a friend, all pages will have the same header/footer. But, the central content can be in 1 of 7 or so different layouts (1, 2 or 3 column layouts with 2 or 3 rows). I am looking for some recommendations on which CMS to use? Some other requirements:
    • Have to be able to edit the Title, Meta Description and Meta Keywords for each page.
    • It is not a blog, so don't want comments or any thing like that on pages.
    • Don't want any kind of front-end login (so no "Page created by xxx" or no "Page last updated by xxx")
    • There will be Javscript gallery on the site, so CMS needs to play nice with JQuery or MooTools
    • Once I finish the site my friend will be administrating the site herself, she is not very technical so some sort of WYSIWUG content (html) editor is needed.

Any suggestions? I have checked out a few (Joomla, Drupal sNews - but they are either too "community"/blog focused or too feature poor). Any one have any recommendations?

Thx in Advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

build Your own, perhaps?

Its not that hard to do and there are plenty of tutorials.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

CMSMadeSimple ?

Don't like joomla ..
    Drupal is a bit of a beast for what you require
    snews doesn't have good gallery support (or maybe the plugin was released)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Search these forums for the MANY discussions on this topic before.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I'm using CushyCMS and really like it. My bro-in-law set it up for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭cherrio

@hobochris Was thinking of doing that, but was hoping to avoid reinventing the wheel and don't want to spend too long developing own solution.

@forbairt The most suitable one I have seen so far! Thanks! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

forbairt wrote: »
    CMSMadeSimple ?

+1.

It works fine with jQuery in my experience and to quote on of my customers who isn't a techy "It's p*ss easy to use." You can really nail down the user accounts as well so she won't break anything you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

cherrio wrote: »
    @hobochris Was thinking of doing that, but was hoping to avoid reinventing the wheel and don't want to spend too long developing own solution.

@forbairt The most suitable one I have seen so far! Thanks! :)

I built one for a project I was doing in under two hours(most of it was spent on the toolbar layout). very easy + no license restrictions.

cherrio wrote: »

I'm a firm believer in not re-inventing the wheel and introducing bugs / support of your custom CMS

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭cherrio

CMSMadeSimple looks the best so far. A question about it, on a lot of pages she wants to be able to upload a photo along with the text (and in the future she'll be adding more pages/photos herself).

Some of the pages (templates) have 1 photo another one has 2. Is it possible for the "Add Article page" to detect this and show 1/2 upload fields based on the template? Or do you have to use the "Image Insert" function?

Thx for the comments everyone.

Should could use the Image Manager to upload the images and then link to the files herself when adding a page, the wysiwyg interface makes this very easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I've used CMS Made Simple for a few sites and really like it.
    I just discovered the ImageUpload module that can resize and make thumbnails of uploaded images. You still need to use "Add Image" in the Tiny MCE editor.

For 1 or 2 photo pages, maybe they could be different Categories in the Image Upload admin section.
    Or, the Image Picker module sounds good.
    What Does This Do?

This module allows you to put one or more tags in a template, each of which will be replaced by an image.

The site admin can assign images to those tags on a page-by-page basis.

How Do I Use It?

To use this module you will need one or more module tags in your template: {cms_module module='ImagePicker' name='Image Name'}. Note that this *only* works in Page Templates, not templates for things like modules.

To assign specific images to pages, go into the admin, and click on the page name. For each tag, you can select an image. Hit save, and you're done.

To avoid having errors for unassigned image tags, go into the module's preferences tab, and click on the "assign defaults" link. There, every tag may be assigned a default image.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

I set up a site recently with cmsmadesimple - easy to template and even to write your own modules.

It supports smarty too :)

daymobrew wrote: »
    I've used CMS Made Simple for a few sites and really like it.
    I just discovered the ImageUpload module that can resize and make thumbnails of uploaded images. You still need to use "Add Image" in the Tiny MCE editor.

I've only installed a gallery plugin before but I might give that a go cheers

Advertisement