Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace a tyre

Options
  • 25-11-2008 12:28pm

Hiya

Some scumbag stole my front wheel, and no, I didn't have a quick release on it. The question I have, how much should this cost to replace? As in, new wheel, tyre bolts etc?

Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Hard to tell. A quick google gives the following:
    Wheel alone £765
    tyre £87
    Skewers £74 (but you get front and back).
    Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I always use Zipps on my commutes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

cheap wheel is around 50 quid. You're a bad person ken

Well in the absence of further information, I assumed that the OP would only want the best of stuff.
    Raam wrote: »
    I always use Zipps on my commutes :)
    Yeah me too. Very handy for getting off the lights quickly.

Gonna need a tube also.

• Advertisement

Naw I quoted for a tubular :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

kenmc wrote: »
    Hard to tell. A quick google gives the following:
    Wheel alone £765
    tyre £87
    Hope this helps

Hahaha. Actually LOL'd to that. +1!

What's the story with tubulars and tubes?

AFAIK (not having used any) a tubular is a tube and tyre all in one, which you glue (or use some very sticky double-sided sticky tape stuff) to the wheel - there's no bead, clinch or anything. If you don't get it right, you can roll the tyre off the wheel = BAD BAD THING.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

you're looking at about 100 quid or so, depending on what you're looking for!

• Advertisement

AFAIK (not having used any) a tubular is a tube and tyre all in one, which you glue (or use some very sticky double-sided sticky tape stuff) to the wheel - there's no bead, clinch or anything. If you don't get it right, you can roll the tyre off the wheel = BAD BAD THING.

The tyre/tube bit was what I was missing. Thx.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Could be fun though!

I think the other advantage is lower rolling resistance, and you can continue to cycle on a flat, as they don't deform totally like a clincher.

Or, go for worst of both worlds, and try road tubular

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

stuohy1 wrote: »
    Hiya

Some scumbag stole my front wheel, and no, I didn't have a quick release on it. The question I have, how much should this cost to replace? As in, new wheel, tyre bolts etc?

Thanks guys

Sry for poking fun initially!

Here's a good website from the north. Wheel is about €50 there, you could combine an order with a tube and tyre, and be back spinning/mashing shortly!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=754&CurrentPageIndex=0&SortExpression=PRICE_ASC

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Wheel, €40-50, tyre, €15-20, tube €5-7. Maybe a bit more if you want it all fitted. This would be for relatively inexpensive stuff.

You forgot the glue in that case :D

• Registered Users Posts: 31,049 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Poor choice of skewers. These would be better.

Too cheap and heavy. Nothing but the best and lightest!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I think this is further evidence of boards cycling law #1: Chap asks for advice about a new wheel to replace his nicked commuter wheel and it devolves into a debate about Zipps and tubulars :).

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I think this is further evidence of boards cycling law #1: Chap asks for advice about a new wheel to replace his nicked commuter wheel and it devolves into a debate about Zipps and tubulars :).

You say "devolve", I say "evolve" :)

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Where in his post did it mention the word "commuter"? Now you're just jumping to conclusions because it didn't have a QR on it. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,049 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Too cheap and heavy. Nothing but the best and lightest!

Go on admit it - you nicked his wheel and are now angling for an upgrade.

Where in his post did it mention the word "commuter"? Now you're just jumping to conclusions because it didn't have a QR on it. :D
    Here's a bolt-on front wheel.

In all seriousness, though, OP- for "cheap wheel for a hybrid" you might get it cheaper in your LBS than on the internet, there are simple cheap box section wheels available that I don't think I've really ever seen on the online stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

Dare I say it - Halfords is handy for this type of basic thing. And if you know anyone with AXA car insurance you get 15% off everything in store

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭RDM_83

at the weekend was in Halfords in the north, schwable Marathon (puncture proof) tires were 24 euro, compared too 35e which was the price I got one in Dublin. Inner tubes seemed strangely expensive
    ps they don't seem to take southern laser cards :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Pitlock is a good call. If you buy one, it won't happen again. Only problem is, it costs nearly as much as a new front wheel!

Advertisement