Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vista - why enable/disable network adapter EVERY time?

Options
  • 25-11-2008 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭

Hello everyone,

I'm having problems with my vista network adapter. When the computer starts from hibernation or sleep mode the network does not work, despite the LAN cable being plugged in.

In the "network and sharing centre" the graphic shows perfect connection from the computer to the network, but then no connection between network and internet and cannot be resolved if I click on the x or ! symbol. What I do is, I open "manage network connections" and click "disable adapter", and then enable it again.

Every time I have to do that to have internet!
    So annoying!!
    The same happens for the wifi adapter, btw.

My power plan is set to max performance but that doesn't seem to improve anything.

Anyone any ideas how to fix that?

THANKS!
    *mC*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

It's a Windows Vista issue - http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=vista+dhcp+issues&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

Please do the following:

1) Run (WINDOWS KEY + R) / Search > Type "regedit" and press enter.

2) Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{GUID}

On the right hand side:

3)Set "DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag" to the value 0.

4)Make a new DWORD (32-bit) called "DhcpConnDisableBcastFlagToggle" and set it to the value 1.

Alternatively, you can manually assign your TCP/IP details, what modem / router do you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭meowCat

That's an interesting link. Thanks.

I should mention though that my other vista laptop has no problems at all. The only two differences between them is that the one that works (always) is a 32bit HP (Vista Enterprise Edition), the one that doesn't work is a 64bit Dell (Vista Ultimate).
    *grrr*

The registry thing, do I have to do that for EVERY entry under Interface?

Also try update the drivers - but not via the Dell website, go directly to the manufacturers website. I did this with a friends laptop who's wireless Intel card only wanted to work when it felt like it.

Is one of this machines with SP1 and the other not?

I tried updating the wifi driver last week and then everything wifi completely stopped working, so I rolled back the wifi driver.

Now that you say it, I have the HP one for a while and remember de-installing SP1 because things stopped working and never bothered with it again.

The Dell is a fairly recent one (btw, I called the Dell help line and the answer I got was "this is a really weird problem. I have no idea what to do about it!"). It came with SP1.

But my flatmate got a Vista laptop last week (Dell, Vista Home Premium, 32bit) and it came with SP1 too and he has never had any problems at all.

It's just Vista that's the problem... follow the regedit details I posted below please:

1) Run (WINDOWS KEY + R) / Search > Type "regedit" and press enter.

2) Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{GUID}

On the right hand side:

3)Set "DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag" to the value 0.

4)Make a new DWORD (32-bit) called "DhcpConnDisableBcastFlagToggle" and set it to the value 1.

• Advertisement

If that doesn't work, there is a Vista DHCP Fix tool you can try...

http://www.reviewingit.com/index.php/content/view/61/2/

I tried changing the DhcpConnDisableBcastFlagToggle and nothing changed. The MS webpage actually talks about DhcpConnEnableBcastFlagToggle instead.

That "appears" to work, meaning it catches the network right away after coming back from hibernation and everything looks normal in the network and sharing, BUT there is no internet connection at all.

I suspect the tool does not do anything else but changing those flags in the registry, doesn't it?

Restart your machine will you please?

yes. Done all that.

It's worse than before because with the applied changes says everything is grand but nothing works :( Still have to disable/enable the adapter.

Tried the tool too.
    No luck.

What is the exact model of the adapter?

If this is a desktop, maybe a replacement card might be necessary.

Vista is not exactly new to incompatibility issues.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

A quick work around for now would be to disable sleep/hibernate. If yoru looking to stick the machine in low powermode just use the power options to spin the hard drives down after 10 mins and all the rest.

It's a laptop. Dell Latitude D630.

The network adapter is called "Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller", the wifi network adapter is called "Dell Wireless 1505 Draft 802.11n WLAN Mini-Card".

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Use a fixed IP address.

Hobbes wrote: »
    Use a fixed IP address.

unfortunately, that is not possible in this case.

In any way, I think I got it now. I tried the tool and that did not work, so I kept trying manually messing around in the registry and the version without toggle and deactivate the other thing worked. It just looked as if it didn't because the internet was then suuuuuuuuuuuuper slow. Nothing happening. Everything timed out.

Google helped though.
    There is something about switching off a windows feature that's to do with compression and additionally disabling some auto-tuning.

Seems to be working now.
    *touch wood*

Thanks again for all the answers (particularly username!).
    Cheers,
    mC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cvbnm

Check the Dell website for a BIOS update. o.0

My BIOS is up to date.
    It only worked for a few days though. And now my network problem is back. I found that the windows auto tuning level had decided to switch itself back to default but even after disabling it again it still doesn't work. The registry changes are still in place.

Advertisement