Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird microphone breathalyser thingy in Byron Bay?

Options
  • 25-11-2008 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭

I was driving around at about 5pm when I was stopped at a police checkpoint. After checking my license, the cop pointed this device at me and told me to count to ten into it. He then let me go.

WTF? Does it detect slurring or irregular counting or something?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

the NSW cops have some fairly hitech gizmos in their cars, that is the new breathalyser, yer lucky he didnt swab yer tongue for traces of Drugs, they also have a mugshot camera mounted above the mirror in the centre of the windscreen which can send live images back to the station

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

I was driving around at about 5pm when I was stopped at a police checkpoint. After checking my license, the cop pointed this device at me and told me to count to ten into it. He then let me go.

Was that device a torch?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

No it is still a breath tester, it just takes the traces from your breath as you speak. It was on Beyond 2000 many years ago. They started using them over 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Jumpy wrote: »
    No it is still a breath tester, it just takes the traces from your breath as you speak. It was on Beyond 2000 many years ago. They started using them over 10 years ago.
    Clever bastards. Stops people from pleading the fifth or exercising their right to remain silent. But there are ways and means around this form of Big Brother control. Australia just like the United States is subject to English Common Law. Read up on it. Therein lies your freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

dSTAR wrote: »
    Clever bastards. Stops people from pleading the fifth or exercising their right to remain silent. But there are ways and means around this form of Big Brother control. Australia just like the United States is subject to English Common Law. Read up on it. Therein lies your freedom.

Has run to da hills hacked your account?

• Advertisement

Jumpy wrote: »
    Has run to da hills hacked your account?
    Welcome to the NWO and to our Lizard overlords yada yada yada ...

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Big brother control, plead the fifth (how does one do that in Byron Bay?) :rolleyes:
    Your freedom is not to drink drive ....

hussey wrote: »
    Big brother control, plead the fifth (how does one do that in Byron Bay?) :rolleyes:
    Your freedom is not to drink drive ....
    I completely agree from a safety standpoint. Just don't need cops with guns and gadgets stepping over the line. BTW I NEVER drive under the influence of alcohol and certainly not drugs. In the grander scheme THEIR tactics simply aren't working but are just adding to the misery and destruction. Without getting too deep it seems that the more they try to enforce control the more it moves away from what they are trying to achieve.

* See stats on road deaths or the effects of drugs and alcohol.

I completely agree from a safety standpoint. Just don't need cops with guns and gadgets stepping over the line. BTW I NEVER drive under the influence of alcohol and certainly not drugs. In the grander scheme THEIR tactics simply aren't working but are just adding to the misery and destruction. Without getting too deep it seems that the more they try to enforce control the more it moves away from what they are trying to achieve.

* See stats on road deaths or the effects of drugs and alcohol.

Please explain, I don't understand how random stops with more efficient breathalysers are adding to misery and destruction :confused:

P.s. I wasn't trying to imply that you drink drive etc.

Not a cop by any chance?

OK heres how it goes ...

Pre Christmas the cops say they will be out in force. They lay on extra booze buses and checkpoints etc. But the statistics have steadily risen no matter how much they put on extra services and have major advertising blitzes. Sure you can have all these shock value ads and police driving the message home hard but it doesn't seem to work. Seriously as much as I think I am a smart ass I don't know how to deal with it sometimes. :confused:

• Advertisement

Not a cop by any chance?

OK heres how it goes ...

Pre Christmas the cops say they will be out in force. They lay on extra booze buses and checkpoints etc. But the statistics have steadily risen no matter how much they put on extra services and have major advertising blitzes. Sure you can have all these shock value ads and police driving the message home hard but it doesn't seem to work. Seriously as much as I think I am a smart ass I don't know how to deal with it sometimes. :confused:

Ok I get your point their tactics are not working, but how does all this lead to adding to misery and destruction ? Your post implies by doing all this it is worsening it but you have not proved that at all.

Your earlier post implied by looking up english common law you can get your freedom ....? (freedom from what??)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Not a cop by any chance?

OK heres how it goes ...

What are they supposed to do? Do nothing? If it saves just 1 life it's worth it.

There is a guy called Robert Menard (a Canadian who understands Common
    Law inside out) who breaks things down in lay persons terms. He has empowered me to stand up to a system my forefathers have fought against and made me realize that I am not just government chattel subject to immutable laws but am a sovereign individual.

Like I said these people in power will try to convince you they are there to protect your rights while sneakily taking them away. My only advice is to understand common law because in built are the keys to your freedom.

Think Free

There is a guy called Robert Menard (a Canadian who understands Common
    Law inside out) who breaks things down in lay persons terms. He has empowered me to stand up to a system my forefathers have fought against and made me realize that I am not just government chattel subject to immutable laws but am a sovereign individual.

Like I said these people in power will try to convince you they are there to protect your rights while sneakily taking them away. My only advice is to understand common law because in built are the keys to your freedom.

Fail

Fail how Hussey??

dStar come over to the CT Forum.

Fail how Hussey??

I asked how by added all this extra checkpoints etc lead to adding to the misery and destruction ?

the response was some look up some dude called "Robert Menard"

Also he said "Therein lies your freedom." ... freedom from what? drink-drive? The post implies (to me) that if you read up on this law you can gain freedom from drink driving

And I was never aware one can plead the fifth in Australia

ask anyone who has had a family member killed as a result of Drink-Driving if adding extra checkpoints adding to the misery.

I'd rather have more drink driving check points than less ... esp in Sydney where boy racers are everywhere

I'd like to see the Anti Hooning Laws repealed meself, So the checkpoints catch the odd DUI, but for the most part they are an exercise in Bullying by the police, I've been harassed and asked for ID as a Passenger in a car once, I can refuse, so I did, what dSTAR is saying is know your rights

I'd like to see the Anti Hooning Laws repealed meself, So the checkpoints catch the odd DUI, but for the most part they are an exercise in Bullying by the police, I've been harassed and asked for ID as a Passenger in a car once, I can refuse, so I did, what dSTAR is saying is know your rights

No he isn't saying that at all, he is saying "THEIR tactics simply aren't working but are just adding to the misery and destruction" ... that doesn't sound like know your rights to me ....

and if more checkpoints catch an 'Odd DUI' then I'm all for it,

hussey wrote:
    I asked how by added all this extra checkpoints etc lead to adding to the misery and destruction ?
    My simple answer was they don't friggin stop the carnage on the road. When you realize that there are many layers to whats going on out there and not some simple problem / reaction / solution scenario you might just wake up. People like Menard who have peeled away the layers of deception show that the law is not set up to protect the public but to control people.
    hussey wrote:
    Ask anyone who has had a family member killed as a result of Drink-Driving if adding extra checkpoints adding to the misery.
    My cousin was killed by a drunk driver in Frankston a number of years ago. No amount of checkpoints or booze buses are going to bring him back. He was only a fukin kid with his whole life ahead of him. Don't you think if there was a simple way (that didn't mean giving the cops more powers) to stop the grief of his parents or any future parents of those who die in these tragic circumstances that I would support it? I said earlier that I don't think cops with hi-tech gadgets is going to work any more than breathalyzers or any number of other methods they have employed so far. By becoming more Big Brotherish they make people more reckless and inconsiderate NOT less. This coming Christmas will bear this point out.
    hussey wrote:
    I'd rather have more drink driving check points than less ... esp in Sydney where boy racers are everywhere
    Hey man we have lots of hoons in Melbourne as well. Without sounding like a broken record the cops haven't been able to stop them and every other week you hear stories of them slamming their cars into things leading to death and injuries.
    Thanks Mahatma. I was there before but I was put off by the negative vibe and the brainwashed sheep who attacked everything you said. Kinda getting a little like that here so I might just wrap this one up.

My simple answer was they don't friggin stop the carnage on the road. When you realize that there are many layers to whats going on and not some simple problem / reaction / solution scenario you might wake up. People like Menard who have peeled away the layers of deception show that the law is not set up to protect the public but to control people.
    Well I personally do think they limit the carnage, if there was no check points then I will bet my house there will be more deaths / drink drivers. If he thinks adding more checkpoints is adding to misery ... well then I'll let him think that.

My cousin was killed by a drunk driver in Frankston a number of years ago. No amount of checkpoints or booze buses are going to bring him back. He was only a fukin kid with his whole life ahead of him. Don't you think if there was a simple way to stop the grief of his parents or any future parents of those who die in these circumstances that I would support it? I said earlier that I don't think cops with hi-tech gadgets is going to work any more than breathalyzers or any number of other methods they have employed so far. By becoming Big Brother they make people more reckless and inconsiderate not less.

I'm sorry to hear that, my family have also suffered (which is why I am arguing), I believe more hi-tech gadgets, may not reduce the numbers of drink drivers, but it may lead to more efficient testing.

I also don't believe it is adding to misery & destruction, I believe reducing the number of check points will lead to more drink-drivers, which in turn will lead to more misery & destruction.

Your last post was a lot more clearer than your other ones. I can see your point of view.

• Advertisement

hussey wrote: »
    Your last post was a lot more clearer than your other ones. I can see your point of view.
    Thanks matey.

I think both of us want the same thing even if we disagree on the finer points on to how to achieve it. BTW I am not some crazy anarchistic tin foil brigade type character. Quite normal really .. well as normal as you can get .. with responsibilities (code for kids) :D

that'd make me
    'the crazy anarchist tinfoil hat brigade type character'

wouldnt it

:D:D:D:D:D

that'd make me
    'the crazy anarchist tinfoil hat brigade type character'

wouldnt it

:D:D:D:D:D
    Nah man you are responsible for that decking incident. You need to be in the hard hat business :D

Advertisement