Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coming off Effxorr

Options
  • 25-11-2008 12:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

Right I know theres pages and pages of threads on Effeor. But none on coming off it.

On Effexorr 75mg since last May. My GP has decided to discntinue my treatment with it. As of last Friday ive been advised to gradually cut down, over the next while. Not taking it every other day for two weeks and and the only taking it every third day and so on and so on. So here we are at day four. I slept thru saturday so it wasnt to bad. But today was a killer. Ive been in collage all day. Only getting home at 2000. Ive had the shakes, spasms and something similar to electric shocks shooting up and down my body and thru my head all day. Im finding it increadibly hard to focus and its taking everything to write this in some sort of cohernt fashion. Hopefully the next week will be the worst of it, but ill keep up updated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

There is a 37.5mg tablet which your doctor could have prescribed.
    It might make it easier.

My local pharmacist recommended valerian root to both myself (for xanax) and my friend (for a strong pain killer. Can't remember the name).

Those electric shocks are a bit of a nuciance. I get them if I forget to take my Efexor.
    Best of luck and, in the words of Frasier Crane, wishing you good mental health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

Happy to report finally now officially off Effexor. Whch thankfull is not as difficult to come off as I had been lead to belive. Still getting the odd electric shock and Ive been a bit more aggresive then I have been for a while. Really not suffering any fools anymore. But aside from that which Im sure will pass.

I know a lot of people have posted here about Effexor.
    So if any one has any concerns about coming off it, or any other questions please feel free to PM me

Starn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Well done and I'm glad you feel the side effects weren't too bad.

It really is a medication that can have dramatically different ill effects during weaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

And yet the makers claim there are no withdrawal symptoms. Yeah right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

eth0_ wrote: »
    And yet the makers claim there are no withdrawal symptoms. Yeah right!

do they really claim that? i dont know what they put on the patient information leaflet. but the discontinuation/withdrawal effects from all ssri's and the snri's are well documented in prescribing guidelines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

They do mention the 'discontinuation effects' but they point blank state 'there are no withdrawal symptoms' with this drug.

I have taken Effexor a few years ago and twice I forgot to take it on a particular day and felt really ill. And coming off it was quite horrible too. If that's not withdrawal I don't know what is.

They do mention the 'discontinuation effects' but they point blank state 'there are no withdrawal symptoms' with this drug.

I have taken Effexor a few years ago and twice I forgot to take it on a particular day and felt really ill. And coming off it was quite horrible too. If that's not withdrawal I don't know what is
    [\quote]

I was very bad for the first day or two but ot very bad now. Still slight nausea and dizziness.

Ive also been VERY EASY TO ANGERY and SHORT TEMPERED latel

Im sure itll pass

starn wrote: »

Ive also been VERY EASY TO ANGERY and SHORT TEMPERED latel

Im sure itll pass

starn, i would consider irritability and having a short temper to possibly be signs of depression rather than withdrawal from effexor.
    perhaps you should chat to your doctor.

eth0_ wrote: »

I have taken Effexor a few years ago and twice I forgot to take it on a particular day and felt really ill. And coming off it was quite horrible too. If that's not withdrawal I don't know what is.

i guess "withdrawal" involves an actual craving for the substance, be it alcohol or whatever, and generally indicates a level of dependence/addiction.

unpleasant effects when coming off/missing doses would be considered discontinuation symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

This might seem a bit off the wall but for the head spins, electricity jolts and brain zaps I found drinking a lemsip really helps. I have no idea how I came up with that one but it works.

• Advertisement

sam34 wrote: »
    starn, i would consider irritability and having a short temper to possibly be signs of depression rather than withdrawal from effexor.
    perhaps you should chat to your doctor.

Emm you might be right. Im wait till the New Year at least and see how I am then. Ive been helping trial a new type of CBT which seems to be having a effect

This has been a really bad idea Ive had a terrible time. No problem coming off the meds as such. But Ive had a very bad couple of days. I havent had this bad a time since april. I going to try and get a emergeny prescription in the pharmency tomorrow. I havent felt this low in a long time

Advertisement