Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limestone heads for windows

Options
  • 25-11-2008 12:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,
    Have a double leaf block wall construction with 100mm cavity built and am now facing the front of the house with natural limestone. The problem I have is that I didn't put in wide limestone headers when constructing outer course of blockwork so I now am left with a concrete lintel which will be visible between the limestone headers that I am planning to put in and the windows. Putting in Marvin alu-clad sash windows and I am worried that the concrete lintels will be very obvious inside the limestone header and will take somewhat from the finish. I am thinking of possibly plastering a 4 inch band over and at the sides of the windows, but would obviously prefer the limestone if possible. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

If you can't return the limestone into the sides of the windows then the plaster band you mentioned will be your best option, besides this will give a much better seal with the vDPC's. Tip: bring the limestone about 17mm to 19mm passed the edge of the blockwork and the head and sides and leave your plaster band thickness at 15mm or 17mm, the slight setback will make it much less noticeable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mad6745

I have kept back the outside leaf to allow for the stone to be returned, so the head of the window is where the problem is. If I keep the limestone head down a little below the concrete lintel inside as you suggested, then perhaps it could work. Appreciate the advice.
    Thanks

Advertisement