Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethernet/broadband problem

Options
  • 24-11-2008 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭

I use Magnet broadband and up until I switched rooms in my apartment two days ago I had no problems with it.

When I got into my new room I went straight from the magnet port in the wall to my onboard ethernet connection but there was no flashing LEDs to indicate that there was any signal. Luckily the other side of the room had another port so I connected to that and I was getting a signal again.

I put the problem down to a faulty port in the wall...until it just stopped working again all of a sudden. I've even tried putting in a different PCI - ethernet card and still get nothing. Now, where it gets wierd is if I bring the computer into another room and use a different port the LEDs light up again. I've literally went from room to room 5 times, mimicking every action I do but in the end it only works in the other room and not my room.

Anyone care to venture a guess as to what is going on? I couldn't have two ports at different sides of my new room not working properly could I?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

As daft as it sounds, might mice, etc have chewed at the cabeling within the walls of your room? Possibility?
    the two sockets have to meet up somewhere probably before they exit your room (within the walls) so somewhere it might have been become faulty.
    Maybe there's just a faulty connection for your room either!

I'm just guessing...

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Pauleeeeeeee

Well considering I live in the top floor of an apartment that's about 2 years old I doubt it :-p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭guil

top floor means attic space above u,i'd say biggins guess is a good one

OK although this just seems unlikely to me it seems to be the only answer;

I've brought a different computer into my bedroom which uses a different make of onboard ethernet (VIA) as opposed to the Realtek one on my main computer and I'm getting no LED light up or any connection at all. Once again, if I bring the other computer into either of two other rooms the ethernet works straight away on it.

So even though ONE of the ports in my room worked for a few hours...then stopped working...then worked again for a few hours...it must mean that the two of the are fooked if both of my computers work fine on every other connection in the house.

Should magnet come out and fix this free of charge ?

guil07 wrote: »
    top floor means attic space above u,i'd say biggins guess is a good one

Mind you, there is no attic space above us. So I still think that mice are unlikely.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Like I mentioned briefly, it still could be faulty wiring somewhere within the walls. Mice or not.

Will the service guys fix it, debateable. All depends on contracts, under guarantee etc...
    You will have to look up the fine print somewhere.

What is strange is that one side of the room is permanently off, yet the other is intermittent.
    If the fault was in the cabling before they split, in your room both would be equally effected.
    But as one is more faulty than the other, this leads me to think that more damage has been done side of the room cable than the other side. How is this possible, my first guess was to possible vermin.
    Don't forget that heat rises. If you wanted to keep warm, where would you go?
    Stay at the bottom or go higher in your building.

Mice or not, I suspect that you have faulty net cables anyway.

Hope you get it sorted.

Advertisement