Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

paints off - what now

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Looks nice.

What kinda paint scheme you planning?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I wouldn't worry about corrosion so much - aluminium doesn't.

It will oxidise and form a thin layer of alumina which may dull it slightly but makes it almost impossible to oxidise further, like what ya get on them ipod minis (The old colored ones).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,337 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

mate you want to see the pitting on some of tubes if you dont think Al corrodes.
    this frame is about 15 years old doing well considering I raced it several times.
    was considering metallic red but not sure its me, was matt black originally might go gloss black

Pitting is a very localised form of corrosion and as i mentioned aluminium is largely passive because of the formation of a thin oxide layer.

Pitting corrosion occurs within the pits themselves and not at the surface (although some complementary corrosion may occur here).

The pits are initially formed by surface defects. So unless your frame is going to be bashed about or attacked by children with knives and forks, it will be fine. A polished surface is pretty immune to pitting (as i imagine your frame would be).

Stainless steel is far more prone to pitting than Aluminium.

So my point stands, you aren't racing against the clock to get it painted. You could even keep it bare like Tom and seal it with some form of lacquer.

EDIT: Arrgh! You edited your post, ok its an old frame and so probably has a few nicks on it. But I'm still right! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,337 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

yeh sorry about that , actually frames in suprisingly good nick. looks quite good like that though got to admit.

• Advertisement

Yeah, im lookin at the photo there. I'm not that mad on bare frames, they can look good, I think maybe a pearl white finish might look pretty nifty?

I dont know if people do it much for bikes, but have you looked into any powder coating services in your area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

mate you want to see the pitting on some of tubes if you dont think Al corrodes.
    this frame is about 15 years old doing well considering I raced it several times.
    was considering metallic red but not sure its me, was matt black originally might go gloss black

You should get adventurous with the paint job! A few crazy colours etc. If the worse comes to worse you can always blast it off with that nitrous stuff again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

Every time I come back to the forum and read the subject of this thread I keep thinking it says "pants off - what now"

I'm going to paint the frame on my self build at some point, but I dont really know all that much about spraypaints to be really honest. Does anyone have a good link about spray paints - and specifically about how to give them a nice "metallic" finish? Is that what powder coating does?

I am going to paint it in a shocking/electric pink I think, I already got baby blue grip tape on the handlebars.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭jollylee

Why not get it clear powder coated?? Thats always cool on alloy frames. Are there any alloy wheel repair shops locally. They'd do it for you. Ask some of the local modified car drivers!

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

There's an outfit in tallaght that'll do it for you:

Jeff

Tallaghtpowdercoating@eircom.net

or tel 01 4564020 / 087 668 3289

Or get one of these :pac:

http://www.hammerite.com/uk/products/ps_metalmaster.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement