Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EJB3 or straight to JPA in web app

Options
  • 24-11-2008 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hi all

I'm trying to decide what are the exact benefits of using EJB3 in a project I'm working on.

Its a jsf project. I'm thinking of just using jpa to connect to the database, but there is a nagging feeling in the back of my head that I need to be using session beans (stateless) from ejb 3, i'm think because of scalability, but I'm not sure why exactly.

Is it ok to use straight JPA (I'd like to use Tomcat), What are the benefits of using session beans from EJB?

Cheers

B2
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Beta2 wrote: »
    Hi all

I'm trying to decide what are the exact benefits of using EJB3 in a project I'm working on.

Its a jsf project. I'm thinking of just using jpa to connect to the database, but there is a nagging feeling in the back of my head that I need to be using session beans (stateless) from ejb 3, i'm think because of scalability, but I'm not sure why exactly.

Is it ok to use straight JPA (I'd like to use Tomcat), What are the benefits of using session beans from EJB?

Cheers

B2
    Putting on an extreme programming hat for a minute I would say if you cannot really justify the more complicated solution go with the easier one at least at first.

If it becomes clear later that you need to change tack, it should be relatively straightforward to integrate the JPA solution into an EJB3 solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Beta2

yea I tend to agree with you. I'm not using any of the remote interfaces or whatever they are called now, its been a while since I looked at j2ee.

I think I'll go with straight JPA.

Cheers

Advertisement