Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK VAT rate reduced

Options
  • 24-11-2008 4:59pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭

1555 Mr Darling says VAT will be cut from 17.5 to 15% until the end of next year, coming into effect next Monday.

Source BBC News online

Should hopefully make goods even cheaper from the UK. Bargain!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I'm going up North! :D

** runs out the door leaving a "Basquille shaped cloud"! **

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

basquille wrote: »
    I'm going up North! :D

** runs out the door leaving a "Basquille shaped cloud"! **

He's going to feel really stupid when he realises it doesn't kick in til NEXT Monday. Oh wait.. he'll probably be queuing that long for a parking spot anyway... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Quackles wrote: »
    He's going to feel really stupid when he realises it doesn't kick in til NEXT Monday. Oh wait.. he'll probably be queuing that long for a parking spot anyway... ;)
    Basquille's currently not in... all you bitter people please leave a message after the beep!

****** BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP ****

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Wow, there will be a roaring trade along the border and almost tumble weeds blowing through the outlets in places like Dundalk!
    I'm even considering to head up for some bits and I'm in Portlaoise!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭josh59

JackieChan wrote: »
    Wow, there will be a roaring trade along the border and almost tumble weeds blowing through the outlets in places like Dundalk!
    I'm even considering to head up for some bits and I'm in Portlaoise!

Book a night in the Carrickdale Hotel - just on this side of the border - they used to do a great one night deal for B&B and dinner probably still do - your're only 10 minutes from Newry

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Will this affect online stores like amazon and thehut?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭bmcgrath

Even more reason for shopping in the North now.
    When I go to England for Christmas I'm gonna buy me a few presents :D
    I feel a new lens coming hehe!

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

jayteecork wrote: »
    Will this affect online stores like amazon and thehut?

Dont think it will have an effect on any based in jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Really strange move that will cost the UK millions to implement and is not guaranteed to increase spending.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

if you were mostly interested in booze then this won't make any odds as duty has been increased so that prices will remain the same. for other products though it will make a difference.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

will shops pass it on though?
    something was £9.99 at 17.5% VAT now equals £9.78, retailers will just keep it at £9.99 and keep the difference in profit
    similar to the rounding when the euro was introduced here

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

It's only a £2 saving per £100 so worthless really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

RasTa wrote: »
    It's only a £2 saving per £100 so worthless really.

PRices might not fall by the full 2.5% but for retailers on tight margins it could be the difference between survival and going bust.

It's costing the UK government 16billion to cut VAT by 2.5% . Irish VAT is going up by 0.5% so the differential between ROI and NI will be increased by 3% by january. Add in continuing sterling weakness and goods up North get cheaper and cheaper. Hopefully petrol keeps falling too making the journey up cheaper.

I remember my father travelling up North when I was a kid to buy a VHS player.
    Think it cost him £500 in the late 80s. Probably a good 2 weeks wages.

All you doomsayers should think about this, while you're claiming the country is f ucked.

You can walk into Tesco and buy a DVD player for 25 euro.
    Recession or no recession, the ordinary person has never had it so good, in the history of mankind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

All you doomsayers should think about this, while you're claiming the country is f ucked.

Recession or no recession, the ordinary person has never had it so good, in the history of mankind.

Eh... Welcome to 2008 :D The same DVD player costs €20 up north :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,060 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Your house is now worth half what you owe to the bank for it, your in real danger of losing your job, interest rates have soared, its become more expensive to send a child to college but dont worry you can buy a DVD player for €25 in tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭mgsrocks

Your house is now worth half what you owe to the bank for it, your in real danger of losing your job, interest rates have soared, its become more expensive to send a child to college but dont worry you can buy a DVD player for €25 in tesco

Only €20 up north!:D

but dont worry you can buy a DVD player for €25 in tesco

right on, brother!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

I think you probably don't remember the 1980s!

My house is worth a lot more than what I owe the bank for it - perhaps you speak for yourself but most people are not in negative equity today.

Risk of unemployment has always been with us but trust me it was a much greater risk in the 1980s.

Interest rates were in double figures for much of the 1980s. Today they are around 4% and will probably continue to fall.

In the mid 1980s the fees (remember them?) in UL (then NIHE) were around £1500 per year. Convert that to Euros,do a rough inflationary adjustment and it comes to the equivalent of around €4000 per year. That's just for fees..not books, digs, food, etc. Do you really think it is more expensive to put somebody through college today?

DVD players and all - we do have it a lot better today. And yes a VHS video recorder did cost around £500 (and more) in the old money. That would be about €1200 today!

• Advertisement

I am 21 years old, I was born in 1987, the troubles of the 80s weren't really a thing i was worried about at the time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭kaiser soza

My first Christmas present I can remember was a Blue and Yellow Trike,it was bought in Newry,last year I spent over £1000 in belfast on Christmas presents and I plan on spending more this year, whats the point in getting robbed down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

I am 21 years old, I was born in 1987, the troubles of the 80s weren't really a thing i was worried about at the time :)

So you missed what Maggie the bitch and her pet poodle Regan did when they tried to turn the world into a shopping mall then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

Will we see a difference on prices in NI shops from Monday then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Should have started to see it from last Friday according to the sainsburys website.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭yknaa

slave1 wrote: »
    will shops pass it on though?
    something was £9.99 at 17.5% VAT now equals £9.78, retailers will just keep it at £9.99 and keep the difference in profit
    similar to the rounding when the euro was introduced here

Arsenal FC have passed on the cut in tickets prices and merchandise

yknaa wrote: »
    Arsenal FC have passed on the cut in tickets prices and merchandise

To the Emirates!

Advertisement