Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family member suffering with Schizodefective Disorder

Options
  • 24-11-2008 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi all,
    Myself and my family are going through a very difficult time right now. One of my sisters has been suffering from Schizodefective disorder since she was 16. She is now 22 and things just don't seem to be getting better for her. She has been in and out of an institution in the city centre - but this time it's Really not working.
    In the space of less than two months, she's tried to commit suicide by taking an overdose.
    I need to find out if there's anyone in a similar situation and what are the next steps when people come out of Hospital?
    I really need help from Anyone with advise to give or contacts that might be able to help me here?
    This is really hard for us right now.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

Maybe worth making contact with Detect or the Delta Project. Both innovative Dublin-based community services for individuals with psychosis and their families. Even if you're not in the catchment area, they're the leaders in the field, so they should have some guidance to offer regarding services in your sister's area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Surely you mean Schizo-affective disorder?

Is she being treated by the HSE? Have any family members spoken with the consultant? Have they arranged follow-up - monitoring in the out patient dept, visits from CMHNs, day hospital/day centre?

Mental Health Ireland should be able to put you in touch with family support groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Just to add another option around support you could contact Schizophrenia Ireland they have an info helpline Monday to Friday 9-4 1890 621 631.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Yes, there is no such thing as 'Schizodefective Disorder' - You are most likely referring to 'Scizoaffective Disorder'. God help us all if we start using the word 'defect' in mental illness titles. That's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

And god help us all if we become pious to lay people about the mental illness their family members are suffering from!

And it's "Schizoaffective disorder", so called beause it shares many features of SCHIZOphrenia.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 SeekingHelp

To be honest, I didn't think there was going to be an issue in what it was called, give me a Break people.
    It's Schizoaffective disorder - Yes, my head has been all over the place obviously enough in the past - this is the mental illness.
    You grasp what's going on. She's doing ok at the moment, but the family seem to be "living on edge" alot of the time.
    Support groups are helping at the moment.

Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Rosiestar

I know this is an old thread but its the only one I could find in relation to Schizophrenia/Schizoaffective Disorder. I've tried to start a new thread on this illness but dont know how to do it, I think I need some kind of permission or something. I'm fairly new to these boards but I really think a Schizophrenia and related issues thread would be welcome.

I myself have Schizoaffective Disorder and at the moment am not doing too well in relation to the 'negative' symptoms which are lack of motivation, energy and general interest in everything going on around me including taking care of myself. I would be really grateful if someone would start a new thread in relation to this issue.

Thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Rosiestar wrote: »
    I know this is an old thread but its the only one I could find in relation to Schizophrenia/Schizoaffective Disorder. I've tried to start a new thread on this illness but dont know how to do it, I think I need some kind of permission or something. I'm fairly new to these boards but I really think a Schizophrenia and related issues thread would be welcome.

I myself have Schizoaffective Disorder and at the moment am not doing too well in relation to the 'negative' symptoms which are lack of motivation, energy and general interest in everything going on around me including taking care of myself. I would be really grateful if someone would start a new thread in relation to this issue.

Thank you very much.

Hi Rosiestar, we cannot help you in that manner here, your request for personal help/advice goes beyond what we can offer. However, you can start a post in either Person Issues or Long Term Illness, and you will get some responses there. If you need help do that, ask me here and I'll guide you through it. How is that with you?

Advertisement