Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you have sky TV in an apartment block...

Options
  • 24-11-2008 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭

...did you know you can get all the FREE TO AIR channels (Astra 28), just by buying a standard satellite receiver box?

This isn't a bargain alert per-se, more of a heads-up, but I was chuffed to find out I didn't have to pay Sky a single cent to watch a good few free channels like BBC1-4, ITV1-4, C4(+1), Film4(+1), E4(+1), More4(+1), Five etc :D

Obviously you wont get the Sky channels or RTE/TV3 from the box, but Sky sometimes provide those for free on the regular TV signal.

It is what it's.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

is that legal?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

is that legal?

Yes, perfectly.

About 100 UK channels are unencrypted and Free To Air (FTA), thus anyone with a satellite can receive them.

The BBC and others are currently building their own system called Freesat to compete with Sky:

http://www.freesat.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Yeh. Its all legal.

www.freesat.ie

They have everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭duffmagic

The long wait for communal Sky to come to my block is nearly over. I've been planning on using my own decoder all along, but I've one snag:

Will Sky actually hook up extra LNBs for apartments that haven't yet signed up?

Advertisement