Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help, problem with windows

Options
  • 24-11-2008 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Help

I have a problem with my comp, when i try to open word, excel, and i tunes it trys to install them, everything was working fine until 2 days ago.

Cheers
    Chahop

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭chahop

Can anyone help, need further info?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Can you restate "i tunes it trys to install them"!

Are you refering to "Itunes" and that its trying to install it/them (Word also)?

With very limited info, all I can say at this point is that if Office is having problems, re-install and try to fix that way.

Run a virus check - make a Restore point then try to do a System Restore to an earlier working date - to begin with as well

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭chahop

It a problem with all office programs and itunes. when i try to start any of these programs it trys to install said program but fails. I have done a virus check. Looks like i'll have to reinstall office.

Thanks for your reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭link8r

I think you're trying to say that whenever you try to run one of these apps, "windows" tries to run the install package.

Looks like, to me, you've installed an update or new piece of software that has either downgraded or upgraded a shared file that is in common with one of the others and Windows version control is trying to fix it. I'd suggest you try removing the last app you've installed, if it's not too difficult.

Also, Office apps have a detect and repair built into their help menu (pre-2007) - this re-installs the apps and is perfectly safe (check the tick box for keep settings!) and should reset the files and libraries to the right version.

During the install, it should run until it hits a problem file - this might shed some light on the app that caused this.

You could also try to clean up your Registry with Norton System Works etc. I don't recommend doing this manually.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Does a particular different installer open, than the one in question? Seen the windows installer in older roxio apps cause havok with other windows installer apps, If so download Windows Installer Cleanup Utility to remove the offending installer :D

Nick

• Advertisement
Advertisement