Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pallett dismantling

Options
  • 24-11-2008 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

Been promising my eldest a wendy house for 2 yrs now!!Finally got round to starting.Trying to use as much recycled wood as poss.Already have some pressure treated cuts for a base and stud walls but can't find enough lumber for the shiplap exterior walls...... so a brainwave hit me;) Palletts,all (well the ones I have) same size boards and in good nick.Problem is dismantling the s*ds! I'm splitting as many as not... Anyone know a good method?I've been gently prybarring them from the blocks so far,very slow and not too productive...
    Any help would be very much appreciated.Also any ides for a roof covering,I want it to look as good as poss(its going to b right in front of my kitchen window) don't want to put shed type felt on if I can help but must be fully weather proof.... Ta loads:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Yeah the pallets are a b*tch, just like the hit and miss fencing pannels! I think they are dovetail nailed (is that the correct term?) which makes them extremely hard to prise apart! I dont know if there is any effective method of pulling the boards apart to be honest.

As for the roof, cant you get heavier felt, cant think of the name of the stuff, but its about 5 or 6mm thick, its shiney black, and cut it into miniture slates and do the roof that way? Maybe throw some mineral felt or such on the roof first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

you could try felt shingles, they use them on american houses, so should look alright on a wendy house. as for pallets you could cut the nails with a saber saw, or persevere with the prying, ive never found it that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Thanks for that,I'm slowly getting there with the pallets.I like the idea of shingles and cutting them from a large sheet.How would I finish off the roof side edges without being able to wrap round a baton like using a sheet of felt??:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

you dont need to cut shingles from a sheet of felt. they come cut into squares or circles. not sure about the edges though you should ask the suppliers

Advertisement