Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dundrum to Athlone Route

Options
  • 24-11-2008 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

I have a wedding over in Galway on Saturday night and was planning to do some of the journey by bike so I can feel like I have earned the beers in the evening.

Does any one have a back road road route (Not to busy) to Athlone from the south side type area? :D

Cheers

Ollie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

ollietrex wrote: »
    I have a wedding over in Galway on Saturday night and was planning to do some of the journey by bike so I can feel like I have earned the beers in the evening.

Does any one have a back road road route (Not to busy) to Athlone from the south side type area? :D

Cheers

Ollie

Blorg does... he should be along soon to tell you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Ha, I only got as far as Athlone, didn't cycle between Athlone and Dublin I'm afraid. If you wanted to go via Tullamore however, I'll dig that out.

This is basically the route we did as far as Tullamore, and I have just continued it on to Athlone. Direct route saves 8km, uses old N4.

Road to Tullamore was all back roads and very pleasant.

What time were you planning on leaving Dublin at?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ollietrex

Is the old N4 ok to cycle on?

Ie does it get massive amounts of traffic?

I don't know personally but I generally find the smaller sort of road nicer to cycle on irrespective of the traffic volumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ollietrex

If you have the route to Tullamore that would be cool... If I do this I imagine I will be leave at about 7 in the morning so we can get to Galway in time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

i would say that the old n4 is ok as it has been bypassed with motorway recently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Oil Well

Some of my cycle routes over the last three or four weekends have involved cycling along the N4 for some distance.
    Any time before 11am at the weekend is quite,there is a wide enough hard shoulder but it is rough in places.
    Also if there was a west wind like there was yesterday, it relly makes cycling the N4 difficult .
    An alternative route which would be scenic and more enjoyable
    South Dublin - Newcastle - Celbridge - Clane - Allenwood - Derrinturn - Edenderry - Daingean - Tullamore - Clara - Athlone ---- Wedding and Drink .
    Check out the distance but if there wasn't much in it, this route would be worth while.

The route is in my post above, basically we did what Oil Well suggests going through Edenderry, Daingean and Tullamore.

Advertisement