Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little help regarding pc i'm thinking of buying in aldi for €679.99

Options
  • 24-11-2008 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭

now i do have some knowledge of computers but unfortunately my hardware knowledge is fairly **** so any help offered would be greatly appreciated.

so here's the spec of the comp :
    Powerful Quad Core processor
    Intel® Core™2 Quad processor Q8200 (2.33GHz, 4 MB cache, FSB 1333MHz). Impressive power and speed – the new Intel® Quad Core technology provides both. With four cores the Intel® Core™2 Quad manages multitasking effortlessly and in the blink of an eye.

Huge memory
    4GB DDR2-RAM, Dual Channel Mode.2

Massive storage capacity
    1000GB hard disk (Serial ATA 2, 16 MB cache). For storing more than 200,000 music tracks/photos or 600 hours of TV recordings.1

High performance graphics
    NVIDIA® GeForce® 9600GT (512MB GDDR3 RAM with HDMI and DVI output). For unmatched realism with multimedia applications, movie playback and games it has to be the NVIDIA® GeForce® 9600GT. The 512MB dedicated memory and integrated HDMI interface make the MEDION® AKOYA® P7300 D the perfect partner for your LCD or Plasma TV.

Easy future expansion
    With the MEDION data port2 you can easily connect the external HDDrive2Go Ultra Speed and expand your storage capacity.5

High Speed Wireless LAN 802.11n Draft
    With up to 300 MBit/s. 802.11 b/g compatible.4

Multi-Standard DVD/CD Writer
    With DVD-RAM and Dual-Layer support.3

Extra software package
    (OEM versions pre-installed and/or on CD/DVD or Recovery CD/DVD):

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium. With new Media Center Interface (32 Bit & 64 Bit/incl. SP1)
    Microsoft® Works® 9.0. Incl. Microsoft® Office Home and Student Trial Version 60 day test version (internet access required for activation)
    Corel® Draw Essentials 3 + Corel® Media One™
    MEDION Home Cinema Suite (PowerDirector 7, PowerProducer 5, Power DVD™ 7, MediaShow)
    Nero essentials3 (Nero Burning ROM 8, Nero Recode 3, Nero Express 8, Nero Vision 5)
    BullGuard Internet Security Pack6 (90 day trial version)
    Accessories included:

Remote control
    Wireless multimedia keyboard
    Wireless optical scroll mouse
    Numerous ports

HDMI + DVI
    Connect the MEDION® AKOYA® PC to a HD ready TV via HDMI/DVI port to give you brilliant colours and picture perfect clarity – the ultimate digital home cinema experience.

All the support you need
    36 month manufacturer’s warranty. MEDION offer a telephone support hotline charged at National Rates and a return to manufacturer service for repair.

now normally i would greet the offer of a pc for aldi with dismissel and mockery.

but this actually looks like a decent enough offer.

there is actually a few decent pc and technology items for sale.

tellin ya aldi is throwing up some decent offers.

anyways you help is eagerly awaited.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Not a bad offer for someone who just wants to buy a pc off the shelf.

You need to buy a monitor on top of that though, so it all adds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭ayatollah

yeah i saw that but they have one available too a 22" lcd tor 180

i was going to build one myself ( i have a friend who was going to help me ) but i still think its not bad.

4 gigs of ram and a terabyte hard drive.

i could always upscale any graphic or sound cards i needed.

in the back of my mind i am still sceptical cause its aldi though. a curse upon my paranoia.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

They always sell decent spec comps, if your afraid to buy it just cause its aldi? Does that still go on? You wont get much better deals than that without building your own

this is what i'm thinking.

i would dearly love to build my own pc but unfortunately i dont have the money to do it the way i want to just now so perhaps this would do me till i can save up enough to do it the way i want.

i think i'll call into the credit union later throw some puppy dog eyes at them and hope for the best!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

The 3year warranty is also very valuable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

jmccrohan wrote: »
    The 3year warranty is also very valuable.

Depends on what cover is available ie telephone support only, return to manufacturer/distributor or onsite (haven't read the actual offer yet hence why the question). At the end of the day 3 years coverage is 3 years coverage lol

The spec isn't too shabby either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...Also that its a quad core and not a duo core is another nice bonus.
    If I needed another machine, I'd be sorely tempted.

With Christmas coming, thse might go very fast sales-wise.

yeah i think i'm going to try get it at least.

p|ssed off that there's no aldi in kk

i'll try find a way to carlow first thing for thursday morning.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Definately not a bad spec for price, the 9600gt is a perfectly capable card, the quad a bonus! 4gig ram & a terrabyte hard disk are nice aswell :)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

I got the last aldi PC, great for the price, the only trouble i had was with the Wifi connection, but the more i looked into it the more i read that it might have something to do with vista. I got it wired up anyways so foook wireless :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭newbie123

Are aldi pcs good though?
    i always assumed it was cheap quailty because its aldi,
    I need to get a new pc might go for this if its good enough
    Im looking for a pc with big memory and good for the internet
    and maybe a few games should i go for this or go somewhere else for a pc?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

newbie123 wrote: »
    Are aldi pcs good though?
    i always assumed it was cheap quailty because its aldi,
    I need to get a new pc might go for this if its good enough
    Im looking for a pc with big memory and good for the internet
    and maybe a few games should i go for this or go somewhere else for a pc?

They're great imo

I have one a few months, my dad has one a couple years and my gfs father has one of the first ones aldi brought out in ireland and its still going strong and he uses it daily for work

the external harddrives are great as well, i'm picking one up on thurs €80 for 640gb and theres a special slot on the top of the aldi PCs for the harddrives

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Aldi has the ability to buy in serious bulk with low costs additionally at the shops given the less staff they hire.
    This clearly makes a difference in the price.

I'd be very tempted to buy one of these.
    Hope they are around when I next need one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭newbie123

Are they in stock now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

defo have to break this rubbish preception that some people have about p.c/laptops,just because you spend nearly €1000 on a laptop/pc doesnt mean its going to be reliable as a €400 one,only really paying for the latest technology in the more expensive one,or paying for bigger storage/chip technology

i got mine this morning.

really happy with it.

would like to thank all for their help.

i really appreciate all advice i received.

i've been nerding it up all morning networking the office away here.

loving it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I would buy this if i had the money... its not bad value and aldi is very good for electronics & also about returns

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Looks like a very powerful machine for the price. As I understand it, it's the components that matter, not the outlet or the branding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

Looks like a very powerful machine for the price. As I understand it, it's the components that matter, not the outlet or the branding.

all same really,just paying for the name

Advertisement