Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

euro for a pound

Options
  • 24-11-2008 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

anyone know of any shops up north where they have given you a sterling pound for your 1euro, probably not but just wondering if anyone has , would make price comparison simple,fed up of being ripped off down here :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Loads of shops up North are offering £1 for €1, search this forum to find the names.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

hoganpoly wrote: »
    anyone know of any shops up north where they have given you a sterling pound for your 1euro, probably not but just wondering if anyone has , would make price comparison simple,fed up of being ripped off down here :(

Jack and Jones in Newry have this offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

randomer wrote: »

as does the toystore accross from the Quays shopping centre in Newry - was there last week!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

Have they? Thats brilliant. I was planning to go up to the Outlet on Thursday so I think a detour to Jack and Jones will be called for.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 gmailer

hoganpoly wrote: »

just drive up hoganpoly and check it out for yourself!!!! loads of bargains up there.

• Advertisement

gazzer wrote: »
    Have they? Thats brilliant. I was planning to go up to the Outlet on Thursday so I think a detour to Jack and Jones will be called for.

Yep. Remember it is cash euro sales rather than credit card sales. It is a good idea to bring 10 euro notes because they can only give change in sterling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Peewee_lane

I do my food shop every 3-4 weeks in Sainsburys in Newry. In some places like the Dunnes in Buttercrane they have signs in the window that offer you the euro for 79p.

Most of the times its pound for euro.

I love shopping up North! I save soooo much. Im hoping the Vat gets cut a small bit, we're going to buy all our christmas presents and food up there and save a fortune.

Everytime we go, we fill the trolley up and over. Ive never done that in Tescos or anywhere else.

Yep. Remember it is cash euro sales rather than credit card sales. It is a good idea to bring 10 euro notes because they can only give change in sterling.

What do you mean? We always pay by credit card everywhere we shop in Newry, even in the butchers. Then we take out £20 for lunch, etc.

gmailer wrote: »
    just drive up hoganpoly and check it out for yourself!!!! loads of bargains up there.

Go to Newry! I live in Kildare, it takes an hour and ten. In some places you get the pound/euro. I dont mean in little shops, sometimes in the shopping centres.

If you're going up on a Saturday make sure you get there for 9-10. They always have great deals and they do be all gone by the afternoon!

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭viv2

What do you mean? We always pay by credit card everywhere we shop in Newry, even in the butchers. Then we take out £20 for lunch, etc.

If you are paying by credit card you wont be getting the exchange rate of £1 / €1 just whatever the bank is charging that day.so you are losing out.
    It makes much more sense to pay in euros/cash if the shop is offering the higher rate.

• Advertisement

If the shop are offering a special exchange rate (such as 1 euro = 1 pound), this is only for cash sales.

If you pay by credit card or laser you will get the banks exchange rate on that day.

Advertisement