Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish proclamation font irregularities

Options
  • 24-11-2008 12:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

I have in my possession a copy of the 1916 Irish proclamation, I was wandering about it authenticity? i.e. I would like to know about the certain font changes and other irregularities that might confirm its authenticity before bringing to a historian.
    If anyone would know about these font and spacing changes, and where on the text they are that would be a great help.
    Thanks,
    byrnemx.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

byrnemx wrote: »
    I have in my possession a copy of the 1916 Irish proclamation, I was wandering about it authenticity? i.e. I would like to know about the certain font changes and other irregularities that might confirm its authenticity before bringing to a historian.
    If anyone would know about these font and spacing changes, and where on the text they are that would be a great help.
    Thanks,
    byrnemx.

As far as I know, their are only something like a handful of copies of the orignal 1916 proclaimation that were posted around Dublin on the morning of the rising. One is in the Dail, the other in the national muesum in Kildare St and I remember an Irish American bought one a decade or more ago and paid 1/2 a million or something for it at the time. I think that particulair copy had been found in a skip, brought to an art dealer or someone like that, and authenticated it to be an orginal copy. Honest.

So possibly contacting an art dealer to see if it's an orginal would possibly be the way to go. Or maybe the history dept. in a university. If it's an orginal, you've basically got a winning lottery ticket :eek: Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

There were about 2,500 copies of the original proclamation secretly printed in Liberty Hall shortly before the Rising. Very few of them have survived as they were distributed throughout the country and probably had little meaning to anyone at the time. Some copies were posted onto public buildings but were torn down.

One of the problems was that they had to use different typesets as they were short of type. So maybe that is what you are seeing on yours?

Here is a link that might help you.

http://www.teachnet.ie/dhorgan/2004/sunday.html

If you have an original one you own a small fortune!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 byrnemx

Hi again, thanks for the replies.
    The main reason i asked this is because I recently found out that it was given to my grandfather back in the 1920's sometime by a cousin of his who was in the IRA during that time, but would have only been 16 years old at the easter rising. And dont really know anymore about it.
    If this comes to anything I will let you know.

Advertisement