Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing Linux with xp, no cd drive...HELP!!

Options
  • 23-11-2008 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭

Im at my wits end at the moment. Im trying to install Windows XP on an asus EEE mini laptop to replace linux.

Have Xp on a disc and also have a slimmed down version of XP called windows angel(mods dunno if thats against the rules here, feel free to cut it out and my appologies if it isnt) on my harddrive as an .iso file. Problem is that the Acer EEE doesnt have a disc drive so i cant boot from there. Tried to boot angel off the memory stick but its not working, I think its cause its a .iso but im not too sure.

I think i should be grand if i found something similar to daemon tools for linux, does such a thing exist? Also would mounting the image of Windows Angel work to install it.

Any other information on replacing linux with xp on a computer with no disc drive would be GREATLY appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.petri.co.il%2Fhow_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm&ei=fdgpSY2RG5u0QZevpb4C&usg=AFQjCNHWwFKlEF3b_pI3HYK1oFKvVxvkgA&sig2=ART2dXVADBXMS3vkz8rb8w

Above is a link to how to burn an ISO to disc.

You will need an external cd drive (borrow one), that will be the easiest way to do the install, good luck.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Noone i know has an extermal disc drive im afraid so im gonna have to go the complicated route :(.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Got a usb port?

Buy a memory stick - copy the xp on to that then copy onto the hard-drive and install from there.

Problem, cant do that as the file is a .iso and I need somthing to mount it with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/857/mount-an-iso-file-in-linux/

Follow the instructions then copy the files to the USB key but this still leaves you the problem of making the USB bootable

MC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I'm pretty sure it's Asus who manufacture the eeePC not Acer but here's how to install XP without a CD-ROM drive anyway. :pac: Link

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭spannerotoole

copy the files from the .iso (Extract them win winrar or winace) onto a usb key containing at least 1GB of Space. then boot from USB, you may need to hold down F12. good luck with drivers and stuff.

I find Linux to suit my needs on this machine, why not try it, it's not that difficult.

Adyx wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it's Asus who manufacture the eeePC not Acer but here's how to install XP without a CD-ROM drive anyway. :pac: Link
    Right you are actually, im doing the job for a freind o mine so i got a bit confused haha. Thanks for all the links, im up in college the week hopefully should have it sorted friday now! Il let ye know how it all works out.

Cheers again lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

Try www.eeeuser.com, your one stop palce for ever thing eeePC.

Patricide wrote: »
    Problem, cant do that as the file is a .iso and I need somthing to mount it with.

Install winrar (http://www.rarlab.com/rar/wrar380.exe) - right click on the iso file and chose "extract to folder"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Biggins wrote: »
    Install winrar (http://www.rarlab.com/rar/wrar380.exe) - right click on the iso file and chose "extract to folder"

he is running linux. A .exe is not going to work.

On the eee, open a command shell, get root, and type the following command:

mount -o loop -t iso9660 file.iso /media/winxp

that will extract the iso into individual files, copy to a USB pendrive, and install off of that.

syklops wrote: »
    he is running linux. A .exe is not going to work.

On the eee, open a command shell, get root, and type the following command:

mount -o loop -t iso9660 file.iso /media/winxp

that will extract the iso into individual files, copy to a USB pendrive, and install off of that.

My bad. Nice one on the advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Biggins wrote: »
    My bad. Nice one on the advice.

I live to serve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭L.R. Weizel

I'm going to have to do this soon. Is it possible to install it from a networked CD drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭mecco

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ could be a handy bit of software for people wanting to get an iso onto a usb drive and make it bootable, all done without opening a command prompt. It worked for me with a custom linux distro (linux system rescue cd) and ubuntu 8.10, so no reason to suggest that Windows Angel distro wouldn't work either. Possibly easier than any work required to get a network install operational too.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭spannerotoole

Only if the BIOS in your EEEPC supports Booting from a network device, this is too complicated,what I call a "Panadol Task", Instead get onto a windows machine, make the usb drive bootable (fdisk), and copy the contents of an XP Disc onto it.

Then boot and make sure that you have boot from USB enabled in your BIOS. Note that XP has been known to be crash prone on SSD Based EEEPC's due to the write limitation, if this is the case, I suggest you leave it as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭L.R. Weizel

Would Ubuntu or a similar distro have the same problem? I'd be fairly comfortable using that.
    Then boot and make sure that you have boot from USB enabled in your BIOS. Note that XP has been known to be crash prone on SSD Based EEEPC's due to the write limitation, if this is the case, I suggest you leave it as it is.

So I only need 1 USB Key? The other method I saw required 2 and sounded more complex.

Advertisement