Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bicycle Lanes in Dublin

Options
  • 23-11-2008 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me if cyclists are legally obliged to use bike lanes if provided?

Was anyone ever prosecuted for not using them?

Are there are circumstances where they do not have to be used?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Can anyone tell me if cyclists are legally obliged to use bike lanes if provided?
    Yes.
    Was anyone ever prosecuted for not using them?
    I've never heard of it happening.
    Are there are circumstances where they do not have to be used? Thanks
    Where the lane is bounded by a broken white line and you're turning right & have indicated by extending your right arm into the path of passing traffic. Also, where a vehicle is legally parked in the cycle track and again, you're riding with one arm controlling the bike.

You're not permitted to pass illegally parked vehicles in cycle tracks.

Regulations by courtesy of the PDs (c) 1998.

The Greens have not indicated any intention to reform the regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Where the lane is bounded by a broken white line and you're turning right & have indicated by extending your right arm into the path of passing traffic. Also, where a vehicle is legally parked in the cycle track and again, you're riding with one arm controlling the bike.

Regulations by courtesy of the PDs (c) 1998.

The Greens have not indicated any intention to reform the regulations.

In a situation where the cycle lane is unsafe for bicycles?

72hundred wrote: »
    In a situation where the cycle lane is unsafe for bicycles?
    Bless, you, I think you're under the rather silly impression that cycle facilities and regulations are for the benefit of cyclists.

Refer to answer #2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

As far as I have picked up from here, you only have to cycle on them if they are technically cycle lanes by as defined in the law.

They must be marked with a specific sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Alkers

Rofl

• Advertisement

Sean_K wrote: »
    As far as I have picked up from here, you only have to cycle on them if they are technically cycle lanes by as defined in the law.They must be marked with a specific sign.
    There are two signs: RUS009 and RUS009a. The former is a white bike on a blue background and the latter is a black bike on a red background in a red circle. Both have identical meanings. In addition the cycle track, if it is on-road must be marked on the right by RRM022 or RRM023. The former a continuous white line, the latter as broken white line. On a footpath, a cycle track must be marked on both sides by RRM023.

Footpaths signed with a blue sign showing pedestrians and a bike and which have no surface markings indicating the location of the cycle track are of completely unknown legality. One theory is that they're 'informal' cycle tracks which may be used but are not obligatory.

You'll have to decide yourself what you're legally supposed to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Has anyone ever seen the RUS009a flavour of sign, and if so, where? I've not.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭steve-o

The coastal cycle path near Clontarf has some. In most other countries it means "bicycles prohibited" so I'm sure any tourists who see it are confused.

yeah thats what I wa thinking - usually the red border is a prohibition - no parking - no entry - no right turn - don't go above 50km/h etc. Never seen a red-bordered positive sign.

steve-o wrote: »
    The coastal cycle path near Clontarf has some. In most other countries it means "bicycles prohibited" so I'm sure any tourists who see it are confused.
    That might explain the walkers, joggers and free-style rollarbladers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

I wouldn't worry. I doubt that anyone has ever been arrested or even cautioned for not using a bike lane. The Gardai know the facilities for cyclists are ridiculous, and as long as you're not cycling dangerously they'll be fine with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I get the odd beep from angry taxi men. Ironically, the last time I got beeped on my ridley was on the way to a saturday spin and some knob boy-racer using the bus lane sped up behind me and beeped.

I gave him my usual response and flipped the bird.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Is this just Dublin? There are precious few in Cork and mostly they are impossible to use anyway...appearing 50m before a traffic-calming island, over the 5inch high kerb of the island, and the same out the other side, covered in broken glass and half the ditch. Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Malari wrote: »
    appearing 50m before a traffic-calming island, over the 5inch high kerb of the island, and the same out the other side, covered in broken glass and half the ditch. Seriously.
    Its the same here, they are laughably bad. Is there a website featuring all the crap cycle lanes in Ireland? I'd love to take pictures of the ones on my route.
    Húrin wrote: »
    The Gardai know the facilities for cyclists are ridiculous, and as long as you're not cycling dangerously they'll be fine with it.
    A bike gard told me they were optional and that I should only use them if I want to. He may have been misinformed.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Harpz

Yeah Ive been thinking about doing something like that for a while.
    Can the technically minded (computer nerds...you know who you are) work out how we could do this. Perhaps using google maps and the wiki?
    There is a website which has a map of ireland and all the car accidents on it...something similare whould be good.

Ideally people could take pictures of terrible cycle lanes, have a small piece of text outlining the problems with it and show its location on the map.

It would be a useful tool to beat the local authorities into improving/not building poor cycle lanes. At the moment there is just piecemeal anecdotal evidence that bike lanes could be better and this isn't really taken seriously by anyone who can do something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭markpb

I wouldn't worry. I doubt that anyone has ever been arrested or even cautioned for not using a bike lane. The Gardai know the facilities for cyclists are ridiculous, and as long as you're not cycling dangerously they'll be fine with it.

I was stopped by a GTC member about a year ago for not using the shared cycle/pedestrian facility in Drumcondra. He parked (in the bus lane) to watch me and make sure I didn't go back onto the road.
    Harpz wrote: »
    It would be a useful tool to beat the local authorities into improving/not building poor cycle lanes. At the moment there is just piecemeal anecdotal evidence that bike lanes could be better and this isn't really taken seriously by anyone who can do something about it.

You can't shame someone into fixing something they don't see a problem with. I've discussed the problems with members of the QBN office (not that they're responsible for many) and in most cases, they think they're okay.

No so the case! I got beeped at by a guard in a squad car a couple months back. I was on a dual carriageway with no bike lane...still no idea what he was objecting to.
    Its the same here, they are laughably bad. Is there a website featuring all the crap cycle lanes in Ireland? I'd love to take pictures of the ones on my route.

A bike gard told me they were optional and that I should only use them if I want to. He may have been misinformed.

A guard misinformed? Well, wonders never cease :rolleyes: Few cyclists I know were told last week by a guard they weren't to cycle two abreast.

A guard misinformed? Well, wonders never cease :rolleyes: Few cyclists I know were told last week by a guard they weren't to cycle two abreast.
    You're normally not committing an offense by doing so, but a Garda has the authority to direct you to ride in a particular way (for traffic or emergency reasons) and ignoring a Garda's (lawful) instruction would be an offense. So: "yes Garda, thank you Garda...".

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

ignoring a Garda's (lawful) instruction would be an offense.

Emphasis on the lawful surely, you would have to be prima facia commiting an offence to be cautioned etc.

mmclo wrote: »
    Emphasis on the lawful surely, you would have to be prima facia commiting an offence to be cautioned etc.
    No you don't have to be committing an offense. For reasons of traffic management or public safety, a Garda can direct you to something or go somewhere and as long as that action is lawful, you'd have to do it. So if instructed by a Garda to ride in single file, you'd have to do it. At least, for as long as your're in his sight and the circumstances (e.g. a big traffic tailback or an blockage caused by an accident) prevailed.

• Advertisement

Could he also instruct you to do something which is normally unlawful - e.g. cycle the wrong way up a one way street?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

kenmc wrote: »
    Could he also instruct you to do something which is normally unlawful - e.g. cycle the wrong way up a one way street?
    I would imagine so, they certainly direct you to break red lights often enough when they are managing traffic on a junction.

Jeez thats the biggest loophole ever then. "Oh sorry guard, I was just doing what I was told by the other guard earlier on. He then jumped on his motorbike and sped off. No I didn't get his number or name, but he was dressed just like you"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

markpb wrote: »
    I was stopped by a GTC member about a year ago for not using the shared cycle/pedestrian facility in Drumcondra. He parked (in the bus lane) to watch me and make sure I didn't go back onto the road.

To be fair, that is a dangerous section of road for a cyclist. There are railings along the side, so if a car or bus was to turn up the side roads there is no bailout option. They have also improved the 'on-path' cycle facility by making the path wider and putting solid lines and bike marks down.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭markpb

I totally agree but this was one of my first times cycling through Drumcondra and I honestly didn't have a clue that the dark, dingy, barely wide enough for a bike, covered with leaves slip lane led to a dedicated cycle lane :D This was also before the improvements at the other end when it was a deathtrap to exit from.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Yeah that's true, it's a cunningly hidden entrance alright. I like the new bit at the end, one can exit at speed through the chicane. Actually that's probably the best bit of real, useful cycle infrastructure I've encountered in Dublin, letting you get back onto the road without having to wait for thundering buses to go by.

You're normally not committing an offense by doing so, but a Garda has the authority to direct you to ride in a particular way (for traffic or emergency reasons) and ignoring a Garda's (lawful) instruction would be an offense. So: "yes Garda, thank you Garda...".

Yeah, but that's not what I said. They were told they should be cycling in single file. Full stop! Not on this one occasion. I'm not saying they shouldn't do anything but obey a guard, my point was that guards don't have a clue about the rules of the road when it comes to cycling.

my point was that guards don't have a clue about the rules of the road when it comes to cycling.
    It doesn't help them that the RoTR misquotes the regulations and makes out, incorrectly that single file is obligatory by law in 'heavy traffic', and on then on the road, the Councils make such a mess of signing and marking the 'facilities'.

This is Ireland.

Advertisement