Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top Gear 23-Nov-2008

Options
  • 23-11-2008 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭

Nearly forgot again!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

How about that Jag eh?? Clarkson looked gutted to make it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

damn missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Brutal show IMO tonight.. Loved the Zonda of course... that eco drive was far from the truth and was just a bit, how can I put it, average for TG.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Hah, Veyron my arse. All that wait for it to come on, and come fourth. Then ten seconds later to get knocked to fifth. Oh wow lol...

Would of liked to heard what tips they used to save fuel, but sure it's Top Gear:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Would of liked to heard what tips they used to save fuel, but sure it's Top Gear:D
    Turn on as much electrics as you can and ignore the range : 0 km warning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Good show. Nothing spectacular but very factually entertaining :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Needs more Stig.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

What I always suspected about the Veyron - overweight, overly complex, overpriced.

JC looked genuinely disappointed. TG have been bigging up the Veyron for ages but what's top of their board? A brick called a Gumbert that noones ever heard of:rolleyes:

I know the lap time around a tight little track isn't everything but it just goes to show the Bugatti is just an overwrought GT cruiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭positron

Missed first 10 mins, but the rest was okay, a bit flat - probably not the usual camera man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭bmcgrath

That jag was pretty amazing and apparently had some spare still left in the tank.... WOW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

...had to laugh at Clarkson flirting with the really cute blonde girl behind him while reading the 'news'...

They must drag all the good looking women to the front of the audience to satisfy the male viewership - there are always hotties hanging out almost tantilisingly out of shot while one of the 3 heads are talking...

Ugly blokes in T-shirts are towards the back...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

bmcgrath wrote: »
    That jag was pretty amazing and apparently had some spare still left in the tank.... WOW
    It got something like 50mpg and yet it had potential to do another 100+miles. Therefore there was still quite a bit of fuel left inside her. Were they telling porkies about the reserve or is the fuel gauge really crap in it?

kbannon wrote: »
    It got something like 50mpg and yet it had potential to do another 100+miles. Therefore there was still quite a bit of fuel left inside her. Were they telling porkies about the reserve or is the fuel gauge really crap in it?

I'd say it has a huuuggee tank as well lol.

pburns wrote: »
    ...had to laugh at Clarkson flirting with the really cute blonde girl behind him while reading the 'news'...

They must drag all the good looking women to the front of the audience to satisfy the male viewership - there are always hotties hanging out almost tantilisingly out of shot while one of the 3 heads are talking...

Ugly blokes in T-shirts are towards the back...

Haha +1. Myself and the cousin were saying the same thing lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭bmcgrath

Hehe yea seems crazy.
    When I drove my uncles XJ sport over in the Lake district this year I brought the consumption down to 8mpg.... :D:D
    It was a 4.0 V8 Supercharged though and a lot of fun to drive on those twisty roads! :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'd say it has a huuuggee tank as well lol.
    Didn't CLarkson say that it was 18 gallons (which is huge!)?

edit: typo fixed

Didn't CLarkson say that it was 19 gallons (which is huge!)?

Was that sarcasm? Lol i don't know.

I don't know tank sizes, but it's almost twice the size that the Polo had, 10 gallons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Anyone notice the big dent on the right hand side sill on the Veyron? Stiggy must have been trying very hard to get a low time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Damn, I missed it. Did they get the Veyron around the track? How did it do?

Damn, I missed it. Did they get the Veyron around the track? How did it do?

Crap. 1:18 or something. 5th place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

That's fairly brutal for the veyron... am downloading the torrent now to take a look. Thanks for the quick reply:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That 4 door Lambo was gourgeous, even prettier than the blonde Clarkson had a word with.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

I've noticed that myself.
    The production team must know their viewership fairly well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

RichyX wrote: »
    I've noticed that myself.
    The production team must know their viewership fairly well :D

+1 it's pretty obvious alright

What I always suspected about the Veyron - overweight, overly complex, overpriced.

JC looked genuinely disappointed. TG have been bigging up the Veyron for ages but what's top of their board? A brick called a Gumbert that noones ever heard of:rolleyes:

I know the lap time around a tight little track isn't everything but it just goes to show the Bugatti is just an overwrought GT cruiser.

I'm not sure that you can say that just the Veyron is overpriced given the Zonda F Roadster costs £850k. You could say all supercars are overpriced for what they are. The price is where it is to guarantee exclusivity (Aston One 77 over £1m I think)

I must say I am disappointed by the actual lap time of the Veyron given that from the start line it would have pulled out a big lead over the Zonda as well as on the straight, and still was slower. What amazed me is how steady the Veyron was - it looked like it was going around 50mph most of the time. It looked like the Stig wasnt really pushing it (I know he was, but that was the way it looked). I suppose the Veyron is more of a road cruising supercar than a track focussed supercar like the Gumpert

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Ta me anseo

The fact that the Jag had some diesel left in the tank is a little misleading I thought. Those cars are designed to protect the fuel system by not allowing you to empty it completely. With a couple of gallons remaining it simulates a misfire for a short distance before cutting the fuel altogether. In reality, Clarkson was probably just seconds away from not making it. Either way, it was by far the most impressive car though. 50 something mpg from a 2.7 twin turbo!!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

TheBazman wrote: »
    I'm not sure that you can say that just the Veyron is overpriced given the Zonda F Roadster costs £850k. You could say all supercars are overpriced for what they are. The price is where it is to guarantee exclusivity (Aston One 77 over £1m I think)

I must say I am disappointed by the actual lap time of the Veyron given that from the start line it would have pulled out a big lead over the Zonda as well as on the straight, and still was slower. What amazed me is how steady the Veyron was - it looked like it was going around 50mph most of the time. It looked like the Stig wasnt really pushing it (I know he was, but that was the way it looked). I suppose the Veyron is more of a road cruising supercar than a track focussed supercar like the Gumpert

I wonder sometimes how hard the Stig tries with some cars and not with others. The RX8 got 2 different times by the Stig when he took it around twice. A better time when Clarkson tested and loved it and a worse time when Hammond was recommending it over the Brera and TT.
    When Tiff tested the Veyron he turned off the traction control and threw it around a bit. Looks like the Stig didn't last night and normally he does. Also I've seen a launch video of a Veyron and it looked way faster than last night's lauch from the line. Still though, it's not slow!

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Dr. Dodger

Yeh Veyron just isn't built for that really. All white Veyron still looked deadly. Is there a paint job for that car that doesn't appeal to people! I haven't seen one I didn't like, the car is just a s*xy b*tch!

Dr. Dodger wrote: »
    Yeh Veyron just isn't built for that really. All white Veyron still looked deadly. Is there a paint job for that car that doesn't appeal to people! I haven't seen one I didn't like, the car is just a s*xy b*tch!

Wouldnt be a huge fan of this paint job

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/EDITORIAL/CARS/news/hermes_bugatti_veyron_worlds_first_pics.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

It was pretty amazing the Jag made it all the way and him booting it in France with every electrical thing he had on!

Maybe they didn't have the Veyron in 1001hp mode? :pac: I was talking to a mate last nite about it and we compared power to weight rations. If i remeber right the Veyron was 400bhp/ton and the Zonda F was over 500bhp/ton it's not all that surprising the Zonda was faster if you look at I that way.

EDIT:
    Gumpert Apollo: bhp/weight: 590.91 bhp per tonne
    Veyron: bhp/weight: 490.45 bhp per tonne (higher than I originally thought)
    Zonda F Roadster: bhp/weight 507.81 bhp per tonne
    Not as much between the Veyron and Zonda as I 1st thought!

Advertisement