Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Updates

Options
  • 23-11-2008 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭

Tried to update a nuvi 710 that was bought on the 6th of October this year and the Garmin site told me its first acquisition date was the 4th of Jan 2008 WTF?

Attempted to contact Garmin but they have no e-mail addresses on their support site and the problem submission forms don't appear to submit, after clicking send they just sit there.

Anyone else been in this situation? I will be returning the unit if the matter is not resolved to my liking, free maps and membership of the lifetime scheme Garmin are bringing out early next year. This is a matter for much embarrassment as this item was a gift and now it seems it was tampered with either in Garmin (most likely, thus invalidating their map guarantee) or the shop where I purchased it (it was sealed when I got it).

Anyone experience this before?

Must add that I had to return a handheld GPSr to Garmin before as it was missing a menu item and they replaced that one with one two steps above it. (an eTrex Vista) :confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,346 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If the Garmin website says that the first acquisition date was xxx then your unit is already logged on their website so there's not much you can do.

It is possible to doctor the date of first acquisition on a once-off basis but you have to do this before registering it, otherwise it's too late.

You need to take up your case with Garmin, go to the Garmin home page, click on Support, then 'Contact Support', tell them your story and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

coylemj wrote: »
    If the Garmin website says that the first acquisition date was xxx then your unit is already logged on their website so there's not much you can do.

It is possible to doctor the date of first acquisition on a once-off basis but you have to do this before registering it, otherwise it's too late.

You need to take up your case with Garmin, go to the Garmin home page, click on Support, then 'Contact Support', tell them your story and see what happens.

Already done that. The unit wasn't registered just that someone at the factory must of turned it on. Don't worry Garmin won't hear the end of this!
    MC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

How do you "doctor" the date of first acquisition as I havn't registered my nuvi 255W purchased in May

Update:

Mail back form Garmin, they are looking for proof of purchase (sent to them) and then they will sort it, TBH it is nothing more than I expected as I have had good dealings with Garmin before for various units and they seem to care that their units work well

Fergiesfolly: Search the forum we had a thread about it not long ago with mixed results.

MC

This still ongoing, the CS from Garmin mailed and asked for proof of purchase which was sent to him, then he returned it saying it was too big for him to open so could we resend it to his personal address in Garmin at a reduced size, we duly obliged then this afternoon we receive a mail from him asking why we had sent it to him!!!

Muppet, he will not be dealing with this issue for long once I get onto Garmin HQ in Southampton on Monday, very bad example of CS from what is normally a good company.

MC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 paul66

free maps and membership of the lifetime scheme Garmin are bringing out early next year.

Does this mean that you get free updates for life if you buy in new year. How much are updates otherwise? In the market myself and do not want to buy out of date equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Similar happened to a mate of mine, he got a Nuvi 255 from his airmiles with Etihad last month, when he registered for his free upgrade it said the first fix was last May. He went the old fashioned route and telephoned Garmin CS and was asked for the invoice. He faxed them the invoice and was given his free upgrade. 3 days from start to finish, no drama!

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭guil

not tryin to hijack the thread mc but i bought a nuvi 200w on nov 5th this year, registered it and bein usin it a bit now,
    saw this thread and checked to see was i entitled to the map upgrade and i should be with the numap guarantee, anyway i emailed garmin last night and this is what i got back

Dear *********,
    Thank you for contacting Garmin (Europe) Ltd. With regards to your email below, the system for the mapping updates go on the first satellite fix date of a unit. Unfortunately your registration does not include a first fix date showing on the account. To help me see if you are entitled to a free mapping update please can you forward me a copy of your receipt? To do this please can you eithersend it as an attachment to a reply email or you can send a fax to 0044 (0)2380 524004. If you fax the receipt please mark it "FAO ########### Product Support" along with your serial number and email address.

Once I have this I will be able to look into this further for you. If there is anything else I can help with please let me know.

Kind regards ############# Garmin ( Europe ) Ltd The Global leader in satellite navigation Liberty House | Hounsdown Business Park | Southampton | SO40 9RB | UK T: 08082380000 | F: +44 (0)23 8052 4004 | www.garmin.co.uk Registered office: Liberty House, Hounsdown Business Park , Southampton , SO40 9RB , UK . Registration no. 2724437 VAT Reg. No. GB568 6978 58

• Registered Users Posts: 10,487 ✭✭✭✭guil

just an update, got an email today sayin the maps were available to download now

Advertisement