Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to do an undergraduate maths degree????

Options
  • 23-11-2008 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I am in the process of deciding what course to do in college. I am considering doing a maths degree such as "mathematcs" in trinity or" mathematical science" in ucd. I enjoy maths, especially applied maths and am hoping for an a1 in both in the leaving cert. But all the horror stories I hear about ppl dropping out of such dgrees because of how hard they are is putting me off. Where would the best place to do such a degree be??? And is it a case of if you work hard u can get through the degree or is 3rd level maths only for Maths genius's??? I would be grateful if someone could help me out with these questions.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

I can't help you with the location part of your question really. If it was my choice I'd probably choose Trinity. But UCD would be a close second.

As for horror stories, don't let them influence you in any way. Most people drop-out either because it wasn't the right course for them in the beginning or because they get lazy and do no work, hence making the course seem impossible.

I've come across a lot of smart people in my time, some who had Maths degrees, but I don't think I've every personally come across a "genius" in the traditional sense of the word. Hard work and a bit of interest will get you everywhere. You seem to have the interest in it already, so you're half-way there.

Perhaps some people also get scared about the financial benefits of doing a degree in "just maths"...really, I don't think it matters - if you're good at it, you'll find a way to make a good living out of it.

Go for it!

Good advice from Michael Collins there, listen to it.

I went through a similar dilemma when I was considering doing theoretical physics (Repeating now, hoping to do it next year). One bit of golden advice somebody gave me was to never back away from doing something you want to do for fear that it might be too hard. If you want to do maths in college, then do it. If it's too hard, then, it's too hard, at least that way you'll know you weren't able to do it. But, if you back away now, you'll live the rest of your life regretting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

3rd level maths is definitely not for genii! I have a masters and I definitely wouldn't describe myself as a genius. An interest, a tiny bit of talent and some hard work would get you through. I went to NUIM and DCU. Don't go to DCU. Horrible place. I'd recommend Maynooth though. BA in Mathematics is quite challenging

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Flup

That is exactly the type of advise I needed to hear , thanks guys. Does anyone have any info on interessting career opportunities in maths???? Not just banking etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Flup wrote: »
    That is exactly the type of advise I needed to hear , thanks guys. Does anyone have any info on interessting career opportunities in maths???? Not just banking etc.

Sticking in the Academic world?

It depends really on whether you want to go into pure or applications and where your interests lie.

• Advertisement

I was thinking more along the lines of applications, something like mathematical modelling...... Do much jobs exist in this field?? And in which industries inparticular, how big a part does programming play in such positions????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I was thinking more along the lines of applications, something like mathematical modelling...... Do much jobs exist in this field?? And in which industries inparticular, how big a part does programming play in such positions????

Well being able to program is always useful.

Mathematical models are used in lots of places. You could work somewhere like Met Eireann, the European Space Agency, the CSO or you could go on to be an Actuary to name but a few things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Just a word of warning, many areas that maths graduates go into require some sort of postgraduate degree. Might be worth factoring in the cost and effort required to do a master's on top of your BSc before making your decision.

To add to Sean K's list, video game programming is getting increasingly mathematical.

Thx for the advise!! I haven't really thought of masters yet, trying to sort out the udergrad first,but u are definitely right bout getting a postgrad specially the way things are going these days. Just wondering does anyone else have any opinions about the maths in trinity vs the maths in ucd??????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

I did maths in UCD. Didn't like it, though I know people who did. It was possibly a personal thing, since I didn't put in enough work. Trinners is better known internationally but it's pretty much a coin-toss between the two in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 SCB69

Hey, I'm in 6th year in kerry so where would be the best place in munster for me to do maths sciences? cork? limerick? plus i'm getting extremely pissed off with being told that my career possibilities are endless out of this course, i want some definite possibiliities!! I don't have a clue what i want to be! Any advice is much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I'm doing joint degree in Mathematics & Physics in UCC, and I have a friend who's doing Mathematical Science there. Feel free to PM me with any questions you might have about the maths modules there.

Oh and don't be worried about the course being too difficult. If Maths is what you want to do, then go for it. I only got a B2 in my Leaving Cert Maths, and now I'm second year I actually prefer the Maths parts of my course to the Physics bits (despite enering through the Physics side.)

Maths at 3rd level is certainly tough but if you're willing to work hard you will survive. You definitely do not need to be a genius; otherwise I wouldn't have a hope in hell of surviving up to 4th Year! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    3rd level maths is definitely not for genii! I have a masters and I definitely wouldn't describe myself as a genius. An interest, a tiny bit of talent and some hard work would get you through. I went to NUIM and DCU. Don't go to DCU. Horrible place. I'd recommend Maynooth though. BA in Mathematics is quite challenging

While I can't speak for the maths course in DCU, I can say that the college isn't that bad - in fact it's pretty damn good! :D I'm doinf Actuary there, and I thinks it's a good course.

Having met the head of maths in Trinity I avoided the place, not saying it's a bad course, just the man so so far up his own hole.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭nothing

Maynooth have some nice options for the maths genius or the regular student with a bit of talent, BSc Maths and Maths Physics (which is basically a step up from applied maths), BA in Maths, or Maths Studies (though you might find these on the easy side), a general BSc which can lead into Maths + Applies Maths / Statistics. The courses have a nice mix of applied and theoretical, broad enough that you can get yourself into any field. Plus the lecturers are very helpful when you express an interest in their course, and can happily point you in the right direction when the time comes for postgrad. We *had* a Maths society too, but they seem to have fallen off the face of the earth this year.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

nothing wrote: »
    Maynooth have some nice options for the maths genius or the regular student with a bit of talent, BSc Maths and Maths Physics (which is basically a step up from applied maths), BA in Maths, or Maths Studies (though you might find these on the easy side), a general BSc which can lead into Maths + Applies Maths / Statistics.

This looks a little misleading ... The Maynooth BA is considered the more challenging option for a degree in Maths at Maynooth, rather than the BSc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

The BA Maths and Bsc Maths/Theoretical Phys are exactly the same. All options open to both that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 lovingmaths

I am in the process of deciding what course to do in college. I am considering doing a maths degree such as "mathematcs" in trinity or" mathematical science" in ucd. I enjoy maths, especially applied maths and am hoping for an a1 in both in the leaving cert. But all the horror stories I hear about ppl dropping out of such dgrees because of how hard they are is putting me off. Where would the best place to do such a degree be??? And is it a case of if you work hard u can get through the degree or is 3rd level maths only for Maths genius's??? I would be grateful if someone could help me out with these questions.[/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ShelBell

I'd agree Maynooth have some pretty good options, worth looking into anyway. people tend to think trinity is best because it's most known but doesn't mean it offers the best courses. Personally i think Maynooth is a more personal college and it's easier to approach lecturers if you need help or advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Triona0

Hello,

Does anyone know if it's possible to study a maths degree by night?

Advertisement