Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does?

Options
  • 23-11-2008 12:30pm

Every punter here think that they have the inside track to all the aspects of the Irish economy?

From the banking crises to tax rates, people here strike me as being too willing to shout and not willing to listen.

Seriously, everyone has 'the method to fix the economy', it seems that the only stupid people are the ones in the Goverment or advising the government.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

Well, seeing as you included the 'everyone' on that statement (i.e. everyone who posts here?) I'll just say that, personally, I don't remember ever going into a normative debate on either a solution to the Irish economy, in totality, or about the banking crisis (other than outlining a series of events in a thread a while ago, and talking about the gold standard). But, if you're referring to the past week of posts and threads like BOI less than 1 euro per share, then I would agree with your sentiment.

It was more confined to the politics forum, which made for amusing reading. However, people like to comment on that which effects their lives. Economics is more applicable, so to speak, to 'real life' than many other sciences. Or, at least, people perceive it as being so, and so solutions seem blatantly apparent; like fiscal stimulus packages and hating on commercial banks & central banks. There's not much you can do about it except :rolleyes:

I wasn't including you in that allegation! There are a few posters here who actually provide reasoned posts which are always good to read.

Most though are just ill thought out diatribe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

I wasn't including you in that allegation! There are a few posters here who actually provide reasoned posts which are always good to read.

Most though are just ill thought out diatribe!
    Aye, some posts come across as insane to me, too. The tone and content of the posts are pretty representative of the general population whom are, on the whole, ignorant of economics. There's no solution to that though, c'est la vie.

I know there is no solution.. however, by mentioning it it may make some people think twice before posting!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I think that there is perception that there is a "vacuum" at the top. For instance I've noticed that when watching the US markets recently everytime Paulson speaks the markets drop, a couple of years back they were able to talk up the markets, not now.

However if the mythical taxi driver tells you the economy is going down the toilet and he saw it coming, that doesnt add any useful information, unless he tells you had the same time that he got out of property and moved into US treasuries, then I might be more interested in knowing how he reached his conclusions

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
Advertisement