Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comp crashed after inserting memory stick - virus?

Options
  • 23-11-2008 1:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭

I have a Dell Inspiron 510m (Windows XP, 1gb Ram, warranty long expired). I inserted a memory stick into it and when i tried to open it through "my computer" the laptop crashed and a blue screen popped up telling me windows had to be shut down. Now every time i try and start it up i i get the same blue screen, just after the windows is loading bit.

I ran a diagnostics check from the boot-up menu on the computer which told me i had the following error

DST Short Status Test
    Result: Fail
    Error Code: 100-0142

Any idea what this means? Could it be a virus?

I'm not sure, but i think the autorun box which popped up when i inserted to usb stick had some version of run program as the first option on it which seemed unusual.

Help is much appreciated - please tell me its simple to fix - i can't afford any expensive repairs!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Moving from Virus & Malware Removal as this issue usually indicates a disk failure rather than a virus. Have you ever seen the message without inserting the USB stick? Seen it on any other computer with it in?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Agreed. Get to the XP recovery console (Boot from XP cd) and run a checkdisk

chkdsk c: /p /r

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Happened to mine, Reinstalled XP and worked fine, but in the long run I ended up getting a new HD. But boot from the CD anyway and check it out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I agree with the above correct advice. Probably not a virus too as well.

Origionall, when the USB stick was inserted, the computer (for some reason) threw a memory error at you, crashed and rebooted.
    Because the machince crashed will system files were open and running, some in this case became more damaged (than other crashes that do not harm thankfully).
    Its been wisely said above by people that know their stuff.

Try the repair with Xp cd.
    Also have a read here: http://www.komando.com/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3231&

Advertisement