Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on purchasing first "real" camera please

Options
  • 23-11-2008 1:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi there,

I am looking for some expert advice please. I have no real knowledge about cameras etc, we have a few digital cameras, can just about download the photos to the laptop etc.
    My husband, however, has developed a keen interest in photography and I want to buy him some equipment for Christmas but really do not know what to buy. I don't want to just visit the electrical shop as I have no confidence that I will get the advice I need and indeed, fear that I will just be sold the most popular camera/or indeed, the camera being pushed for the period in question.

My husband is very creative and has a keen eye but as I say, has never had a decent camera before now.

Can anyone out there give me any suggestions on how much I should be looking to pay and what equipment I need to get so it will be a complete gift for him to get started with this new hobby.

I don't want to get something that he will grow out of too soon but at the same time, want to get something that he can work with.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

I'd say the first thing people will ask is ... whats your budget ?

Mine wasn't that high (in terms of what others spend) and I went with a panasonic lumix fz28 ... cost erm 400 ish euro

Its a bridge camera though (between your point and shoot and a dslr ... the ones with the lenses you can take off)

I chose it as well because the budget wasn't there for something I don't use that often. (though I'm starting more and more now)

With the DSLRs you start with your stock lens and you'll probably want to get another one as from most of what I've heard ... the stock lens is bog standard) then you need to buy more ...

So really your ideal spend budget should be noted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

uriel wrote: »

Can anyone out there give me any suggestions on how much I should be looking to pay and what equipment I need to get so it will be a complete gift for him to get started with this new hobby.

I don't want to get something that he will grow out of too soon but at the same time, want to get something that he can work with.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Honestly, you could spend anything from 200 to 10,000 without blinking if you walk into a camera shop :)

Most of us are probably going to recommend a DSLR (Digital SLR), some will suggest Nikon, some Canon (because that's always a fun contest ;)

To help narrow things down it might help if you give us a price range to start with, and a rough idea of your location so we know what kind of shops are near you. If all you can get to is Argos the advice may be different if you have a full range of stores near you.

forbairt wrote: »
    I'd say the first thing people will ask is ... whats your budget ?

*giggle*
    Simultaneous posting, copycat responses :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 COLM SHEAR

if money is not that big of an issue get the new cannon 50d with lenses fantastic piece of machinary . cost about 2000 tho!!!! but worth every penny . pic quailty brill

• Registered Users Posts: 14 uriel

Thanks so much.
    I am based in Kildare but can travel to Dublin.

I've really not set a budget as yet but I guess I'd pay up to €600/€700 for the camera.
    Would you suggest that I should buy any other accessories etc to go with the camera, I just want to ensure that the present I get for my husband is one that he can run with straight away and not have to go out to buy any other bits and bobs he needs before he can get stuck in. You can probably guess my ignorance on the subject so specific recommendations are very very welcome.

Thanks all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

What does he like to shoot with the camera?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/1281418/art/canon/eos-1000d-ef-s-18-55-is-l.html
    would be a good kit to start off with, great features, yet not too much of an outlay at 450. If he takes to SLR photography, he'll outgrow that camera after a few months at which time he can upgrade to a better model, maybe a 50D or even a 5D. Prices will have gone down in the interim so the upgrade to the 50D will be cheaper then.

jpfahy wrote: »
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/1281418/art/canon/eos-1000d-ef-s-18-55-is-l.html
    would be a good kit to start off with, great features, yet not too much of an outlay at 450. If he takes to SLR photography, he'll outgrow that camera after a few months at which time he can upgrade to a better model, maybe a 50D or even a 5D. Prices will have gone down in the interim so the upgrade to the 50D will be cheaper then.

And comes in at €390 in Jessops, who have a shop just over the border in Newry.

EDIT: And €377 from www.7dayshop.com.

He's really only getting into it now - likes to take shots of the boys, the dogs and general scenes - still very very early days with this hobby though so needs to be able to use it and not grow out of it too soon although by the sounds of the great advice so far, it's a hobby that when you get into it, you develop a deeper love for it very soon and outgrow your equipment. But, as you say, a good camera is an investment and if it means paying a bit more, then so be it ........ he's worth it!

Argos have a special on the Nikon D40 at the moment. It's what I've had for the last year or so, and I can't see myself replacing it any time soon, though I do have a yen for some new lenses :)

Photography is a hobby where you will always find something to spend money on, but I've found the D40 perfectly serviceable, and very handy. There's a full "auto" mode on it (as there is with most DSLRs), so he'll be able to take shots straight away on Christmas day. Whatever you buy, it might be worthwhile sneaking the battery and charger out in advance so the battery is charged when he gets it - read the manuals for the first charge.

The next lens on the shopping list would probably be something like this - or even bigger perhaps (again, you can spend cash till the cows come home). You might want to wait for his birthday for that though.

Fun things to have straight away include a tripod and a remote release. Neither are technically necessary, but again for "immediate gadget playing", he could start taking family photos with him in them straight away.

I think a camera bag/case is a must, as is a filter for the lens. Some filters can do funky things, but I always keep a UV filter on the lens purely to stop the lens getting mauzy/scratched. Filters are cheap enough that you can pretty much throw them away if they get scratched - the same is not true for lenses! Before little boys start grabbing daddy's new camera, get that filter on - sticky fingers on lenses are a curse.
    I'd be inclined to go for the small cheapish camera case initially, and let him pick a bigger backpack type thing himself later on if he wants it when he can go try them on etc.

I'm not necessarily recommending pixmania - they're just handy for links all together - lots of people do seem to recommend them though, and it gives you an idea of prices.

So my initial shopping list (which many others might disagree with) would be:
    Nikon D40: €340
    Filter: € 15
    Remote: € 23
    Tripod: € 45
    Case: € 30

Total: €453

If you wanted to cut back a bit I'd cut out the tripod and remote, bringing the total to €385

• Advertisement

Just thought of another handy thing for you to check. Flickr has a feature that allows you see pictures taken by particular types of cameras. To see pics taken with Canon EOS 1000D look at: http://www.flickr.com/cameras/canon/eos_digital_rebel_xs/

For the Nikon D40 see: http://www.flickr.com/cameras/nikon/d40/

If you're looking at other cameras you can browse for them at http://www.flickr.com/cameras/brands/

Thoie wrote: »
    Whatever you buy, it might be worthwhile sneaking the battery and charger out in advance so the battery is charged when he gets it - read the manuals for the first charge.

Oh dear god yes ... its AGONY waiting for the battery to charge when you first get it. And if its christmas day it'd be doubly great to not have to wait around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭nilhg

To the OP, while you've got some good advise above I'll throw in a word of caution, loads of fellas (me included) have definite ideas of their own when it comes to stuff like this, unless you're very sure what he wants I'd be inclined to suggest a voucher from one of the better camera shops or even one of the prepaid credit cards (3V?).

I know it won't be there for Xmas day, but you can look forward to a day out at the sales with him...

Let us know how you get on, and steer him this way when he's setup

nilhg wrote: »
    To the OP, while you've got some good advise above I'll throw in a word of caution, loads of fellas (me included) have definite ideas of their own when it comes to stuff like this, unless you're very sure what he wants I'd be inclined to suggest a voucher from one of the better camera shops or even one of the prepaid credit cards (3V?).

I'd kinda agree with that.

Does the OP know if your husband has been researching it at all ?
    If he has then he'd have some ideas of what he's after.

I bought my sister a camera few years back and her reaction was oh ... and to bring it back and get a better model. (I was gutted at the time having put a good bit of effort into it ... even when I got my current camera I was a bit skeptical at first getting it but am loving it now I bought it online myself)

Two more ideas if you're going to do that.

Buy a tripod (they're not tied to a particular brand) and stick the voucher/note on top of it to have something to hand over for Christmas.

Talk to a camera shop about if you buy one for a gift, will they exchange it for another model within X days.

I'd be wary about buying a gift voucher, as it limits you a bit - for example if you bought a voucher for Argos, and he didn't like the D40, there mightn't be much else there he likes. Similarly, you might buy a voucher for a camera shop, but then discover Dixons has an offer on the camera he likes for half nothing. I'd be more inclined to go with a card/note to let him know what he's getting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 HiTecRedneck

An entry level DSLR is the best choice here. It wont break the bank moneywise (400-500euro) and will have the ability to grow wit the user i.e extra lenses can be purchased at a later date when u find what type of photography you want to really concentrate on. Buy a named brand (Cannon, Sony, Nikon) Argos have great deals at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

some sound advice above. if buying in argos then you'll be able to return it if your guy has other plans/ideas. in fact if unsure then in terms of their returns policy it is the way to go.

has he been researching any particular brand?

it would be useful/nice to have it on the day though. us men are big children really when it comes to shinny objects in glossy boxes ;) (in more ways than one)
    Can you subtelly chat with him or will he smell a rat?

i'd subscribe to the train of thought that you should go for entry level dslr. that should cost around or over 400 euro. they're really good quality compared to p&s and in all likelyhood your hubby will get about 2 years out of it while he learns the ropes before feeling the urge to replace the camera body and then whatever extra lenses he buys will be compatible with a later model. I mean then if he doesn't become obsessed with his hobby you'll still have a great camera which is well capable not having invested the lifes savings in.

I don't think there is a bad one out there. nikons and canons are the most popular but olympus, pentax, and sonys are all well capable.

The nikon deal (argos) mentioned above is a really good offer. Lots of happy users with that brand/model.unless your guy has his heart set on something else, then it would be hard to pass it by tbh.

you could also book him onto a course if you had planned on spending a bit more. check out what Dave at digitalbeginners has to offer. he posts here regularly and we've seen some good reports posted.

good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

whyulittle wrote: »
    And comes in at €390 in Jessops, who have a shop just over the border in Newry.

EDIT: And €377 from www.7dayshop.com.

Hi
    Have you a phone number for Jessop because my daughter wants a cannon 1000 for christmas and they are 590 euro down here it would be worth my while driving up and 1 last question do they take Euro in that shop ta for any help .

You'd be better off just putting it on your credit card, if you have one. According to the stock level indicator, they have a 1000D in the Newry store, and there is also a £30 cashback offer on at the minute as well.

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/categories/Cameras%20and%20Lenses/Digital%20SLRs/products/Canon/EOS%201000D%20%2018-55%20IS%20Lens-75075/Show.html

Unit 5, The Buttercrane Centre
    Buttercrane Quays
    GB - Newry BT35 8HJ
    Tel: 0845 458 7230

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Once again I am going to suggest a good bridge camera to learn with.

The Fuji range is very good & will not break the bank. They have all the manual modes & then when he starts to find limits he will know a lot more about what he wants in a DSLR. There will be new & better models out by then.

If the bug bites then he will appreciate having a generous wife when he says "I have been looking at some quality fast glass"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I would totally recomend the sony alpha 200. Excellent camera, includes a built in auto focus motor (will allow you to use af on any minolta/sony lens) the nikon d40 dosnt hav this feature.

It also has image stabilisation which will allow you to shake the camera a certain amount and still get a clear shot. Again the d40 dosnt have this feature.
    The a200 is simple to operate - auto mode takes fantastic photos under almost all conditions. However when you come more adventurous you can use manual mode aswell. Controls are easy to get used to and the battery life is good too, i get over 600 shots per charge.

The kit lens is also good and takes good photos under most conditions plus its slightly longer zoom then you get on comparative canons and nikons.

I do a lot of bird watchin with it and im delighted with the results.

Finally the price, it can be got for about €320 on warehouse express. Its so cheap nowdays, you can spend your change on tripods extra telephoto lenses or a nice bag.

Also the olympus e420 is good if you hav an extra 200 to spend.

Lads, I think we're blinding the poor girl with science here - remember, she's not the one interested in photography :) uriel, I'm not belittling you in any way, I'm just laughing at the way we can all trot out terms that possibly just confuse people who don't share our interest. Someone will be going on about glass quality on kit lenses in a minute :)

All the cameras mentioned are wonderful. They each have their own unique points and specialities in various ways. Canon and Nikon are the two biggest names, and as such you can buy bits for them all over the place. Olympus, Minolta, Sony etc are also available worldwide.

If we've totally confused you at this stage, go with a tripod and bring him shopping the following week :)

To all of you who have responded to my original thread - thank you soo much!

Expert advice, very much appreciated, and FREE - that too much of that around, plenty of advice, very little free and not very much EXPERT!

So much food for thought and whilst I am new to this site, I'm certain sure that my hubby will become an ardent fan before very long and will melt your brains with questions.

I'm off shopping now and will definitely look up a beginners course for him as you've suggested.

I cannot thank you all enough

Have a fantastic evening all

Uriel

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Carpenter wrote: »
    Hi
    Have you a phone number for Jessop because my daughter wants a cannon 1000 for christmas and they are 590 euro down here it would be worth my while driving up and 1 last question do they take Euro in that shop ta for any help .

I was in there last week and they give a terrible exchange rate (67c to the pound I think it was), the guy that works there told me he doesn't even bother telling people they can pay in euro because they'll be ripped off. Just use one of the ATMs to get sterling.

Don't have the number sorry, you can probably get it online.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

QQ re: jessops, with their collect@store system, how long do they hold the item for? If I was to say order tonight, would I be able to collect on Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Draupnir wrote: »
    QQ re: jessops, with their collect@store system, how long do they hold the item for? If I was to say order tonight, would I be able to collect on Sunday?

I tried to do the online collect in store thing last year and it wouldn't take my credit card. I was told in the shop later that they only accept UK cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭dinneenp

i bought a Panasonic FZ28 for £209 from Camerabox

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Harvey Normans in Carrickmines had a canon 400d with kit lens on special @ €490.00.

Advertisement