Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

converting fireplace to solid fuel

Options
  • 22-11-2008 11:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

When i moved into my rented house there was nothing in my fireplace. No fire grate and no fake coals for the gas fire. the landlord said it wasnt hooked up to the gas but didnt say i couldnt light a solid fuel fire in it but it has that black fire backing in the fireplace that is used to gas fires kinda feels like aeroboard to touch. the pipe for the gas comes to the side of the chimney and no further its closed off and it isnt connected to anything.

i was just wondering if anyone could tell me what do i need to check to see if i can use solid fuel in this fireplace as i dont really know about diy and stuff. How will i know if my chimney is flued for solid fuel? are gas fires flued differently to open fires?

I dont want to have to ask the landlord about it as he is one of these types that arrives in with his dirty feet sticking out of his dirty sandals and stays hanging around poking at stuff that he hasnt a clue about.

I know that i will have to buy a different fire back to the one thats in it but can someone tell me what else i need to do and check. dont want to set fire to the place! thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

IMO you have no option but to deal with the landlord on this. I'm sure your lease agreement will prevent you carrying out structural alterations which I would figure this is if you're considering altering the flue and fireback.

Get ready for the sandals and the dirty feet!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 playbunnyplay

oooo please god no.... lol i cant take the dirty toe nails. thanks for the reply. am going to talk to him but i want to be able to talk to him and sound like i know what i am talking about. i am going to get handy man/builder type to come do it and pay for it myself i just need to know what has to be done.. and i dont want to be taken for ride by said builder type....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭fmcc

Play,
    Things to look for the insert and hearth and they split with lines or one solid piece if you can post a pic i could prob tell from that. Also yes the back needs to be changed but the flue/chimney must be a class one flue. Does it have a chuimney pot on the top and when you looik up inside the fireplace do you see a preformed concrete piece sloping up to meet an orange/terracotta pipe type or is it different. the insert part of the fireplace should be filled ie when you look up between the insert and the wall you should see cement not fibreglass.

Advertisement