Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual OS problem

Options
  • 22-11-2008 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

Hope there are some serious techies on boards for this one....

Just got a new PC which has vista on it. I found that some programs don't run as they do on xp or 2000
    I found that some programs don't run as they do on 2000 or xp and some don't run at all...
    So I decided to install windows 2000 on another partition and run dual operating systems.

Problem is that now the PC only loads up 2000 and I cant get it to load vista... I desperately need to get into vista before Monday as I have some work related files in there.

I've searched numerous forums and sites and spend hours trying to sort this but to no avail.

Please help!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Hope there are some serious techies on boards for this one....

Just got a new PC which has vista on it. I found that some programs don't run as they do on xp or 2000
    I found that some programs don't run as they do on 2000 or xp and some don't run at all...
    So I decided to install windows 2000 on another partition and run dual operating systems.

Problem is that now the PC only loads up 2000 and I cant get it to load vista... I desperately need to get into vista before Monday as I have some work related files in there.

I've searched numerous forums and sites and spend hours trying to sort this but to no avail.

Please help!!!

I think this will work for you. Press Ctrl, Alt, Delete then pick the Vista option

• Registered Users Posts: 82,252 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

what programs were you trying to run?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Frank Drebin

Thanks for the quick response mate..
    Just tried this when the PC was booting up and it just rebooted again from the begining.
    Should I be doing this when the PC is booting up?

Overheal wrote: »
    what programs were you trying to run?

Had a problem with some game emulators and also had a few probs with sound and graphic conflics in more recent games.
    Coincidently I've since found forums with solutions to these probs but just cant get back into vista to see if they work...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

You can use Bootrec.exe off the vista dvd to repair the bootsector. Do that from the Vista recovery console.

bootrec.exe /fixboot

Or you can use this or this

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info mate.. Not sure how to use the EasyBCD progem. This appears to be what I'm looking for but can't seem to figure out the instructions.

Am I supposed to download the easyBCD file and burn it to disc... Will this then be a boot disc?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

You must burn the ISO as a cd Image file, then it gets translated into a bootable disc, if you just burn the file straight on it won't work.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

good to get the MBR fixed up alright... i assume that you have checked in My Computer to see whether the drive is visible where by you could just go to the file directly ?
    if not visible i might check the Disk Management tool to see if its there just not assigned to a drive.

I would assume they are formated the same.

samhail wrote: »
    good to get the MBR fixed up alright... i assume that you have checked in My Computer to see whether the drive is visible where by you could just go to the file directly ?
    if not visible i might check the Disk Management tool to see if its there just not assigned to a drive.I would assume they are formated the same.
    Yep the drive is visible in my computer... What file am I looking for and what do I change?

Thanks for the info mate.. Not sure how to use the EasyBCD progem. This appears to be what I'm looking for but can't seem to figure out the instructions.

Am I supposed to download the easyBCD file and burn it to disc... Will this then be a boot disc?

http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Windows+Vista
    Adding a Windows Vista or Longhorn Server entry is a straight-forward process, and can be done from any of the supported host operating systems. Assuming you already have a fully-working BCD setup (i.e. EasyBCD runs OK and doesn't give you any errors on startup):
    1. Run EasyBCD, go to the "Add/Remove Entries" screen
    2. Enter the name you'd like to associate with the entry you're about to create in the "Name" box. For instance, "My Vista RTM Install"
    3. Select the letter of the drive/partition Windows Vista is installed on from the drop-down menu (e.g. "C:"). It's important to note that the Drive Letter must be the one currently visible in My Computer that points to the drive that Vista or Longhorn Server is installed on. Even if the drive letters change from install to install, use the drive letters as they appear in your current boot. EasyBCD will automatically convert them to the proper drive & partition numbers that can be understood by the Vista bootloader.
    4. Press the "Add Entry" button, and wait for the notification telling you everything went OK.
    5. The operating systems list should immediately change to reflect the new changes, and you're all set.
    6. Optional: Go to the "Change Settings" page or the "Advanced Options" and customize the options available for this entry.

No, you don't burn it to cd. In your case install within XP and run though the above.

• Advertisement

K.. Thought I had this thing sorted but after I've installed easyBCD and try too run it this is what I get:

... I desperately need to get into vista before Monday as I have some work related files in there...

I thought the problem was to get work related files before tomorrow, rather than get the computer booting into windows ?

you might not have permissions on the files depending on where they are.
    Look on the drive in the place you saved them on vista ?

K.. Thought I had this thing sorted but after I've installed easyBCD and try too run it this is what I get:

Install .NET Framework 2.0 (23.6 MB)

K... Got it working..
    I tried anything and everything in easybcd but the pc still only boots up into 2000.

where did you save the file on vista ?
    My documents ?

Ok, final thing to check. Is there a "Users" folder on the c: drive?
    If it's gone, you've likey formatted & installed Win2000

If the files are there, take ownership of the fodler and get the files. That's the most important thing right now.

samhail wrote: »
    I thought the problem was to get work related files before tomorrow, rather than get the computer booting into windows ?

you might not have permissions on the files depending on where they are.
    Look on the drive in the place you saved them on vista ?
    Lol.. Let me re-phrase that... I connect to my parent company network through what i think they call a citrix network. Unfortunately i don't have the facility to install the software used to do this and wouldn't know how anyway... Currently this is on the vista...

Also tried creating the boot disc but this didn't work..
    Think I'm going to save the users folders and install xp over the vista....

i see.
    you can download the citrix clients from http://www.citrix.com/site/SS/downloads/index.asp
    If your company gave you tokens that you can only use in Vista then your in trouble alright :)

could also try putting in like citrix.[your domain name] so like http://citrix.boards.ie
    in the web browser... just in case your lucky enough to have a company that would do that

Thanks for the advice and suggestions lads... I've resigned myself to loosing vista. Wasn't realy a massive fan of it so I'll be happy to install xp over it. Fired up my old pc to access my work files. Only copped that I have this option about 30 mins ago.

Advertisement