Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great difficulty getting contacts into my eyes..

Options
  • 22-11-2008 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

I have wanted contact lenses for a long time, but the last time I went in to try them (about 1 year ago) neither I or the optician could get the lenses into either one of my eye's.. It seems that I have this extreme sensitivity.. I want to get them in but my eye's just won't accept them. They blink on reflex. It was very frustrating..

Now I have booked an appointment for net week to try for contacts again. I really want them now as I have had glasses for half my life and I can't live with them any longer. I am determined to change to contacts..

Is this an unusual reaction? Has anyone experienced this much difficulty getting contacts in the first time? And if anyone could lend some tips to help me get them in next week that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

I fainted the first time the optician tried to put the lenses in. I wasn't nervous or anything, it was just when the lens came to my eye i don't really know what happened but I keeled over. Kept persevering andit just worked eventually. I don't have any magic advise i'm afraid! As far as i remember it took about 3 weeks before i was comfortable putting them in. Up until then it was taking about 10 mins to get the lenses into my eye. Could you hold your eyelids open with one hand so you don't blink and then put the lens in with the other hand...?

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Hendrix89

You fainted!? Must have been really unpleasent for you.

I have started practicing touching my eyes (with bare fingers) which I hope will help prepare me. At first I couldn't get near them without blinking but I am now able to touch the white area of my eyes by holding my eyelids open. I still can't help blinking a lot though.

If only my opticians would just allow me to take my lenses home to work at them myself.. I'm certain I would eventually get them in then..

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Hendrix89 wrote: »
    I have started practicing touching my eyes (with bare fingers) which I hope will help prepare me.
    it should certainly help yes, i was like that myself and it stopped of getting lenses years ago.
    If only my opticians would just allow me to take my lenses home to work at them myself.. I'm certain I would eventually get them in then..
    Well i've gone and gotten myself a 5 day trial of the dailies contacts, going well so far...can get them both done in about a minute and thats due to the teaching session i had before i could take them home. Its all about practice practice practice:):) Keep it up i'm sure like you said it will happen once you can get more time trying.

Advertisement