Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodgly Dublin junctions

Options
  • 22-11-2008 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

This is a fairly self explanitory thread. We all know that there are loads of bad junctions around Dublin where cars just totally ignore where they should be and drive where they want, and I've certainly had a few incidents at these junctions.

So my first one is the junction of Clonliffe Rd. and Ballybough Rd, heading towards North Strand Road. There's 2 lanes on Clonliffe Rd, one for left only(onto Ballybough Rd.) and one for straight and right(onto Poplar Row and Ballybough Rd). I am always heading straight onto Poplar Row a few 2 or 3 times a week, I'll be left stranded in the middle of the road with cars on both sides by an idiot in the wrong lane.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,968 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

sarahc1 wrote: »
    This is a fairly self explanitory thread
    :confused: What is it's purpose? To discuss the matter or to sympathise with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 sarahc1

Just to discuss the matter and for people to be able to find out where the bad junctions are. I said where the junction is and how it's dodgy, no point in just saying where it is if people don't know what to expect there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Just to discuss the matter and for people to be able to find out where the bad junctions are. I said where the junction is and how it's dodgy, no point in just saying where it is if people don't know what to expect there.

It's not a great junction whether driving or cycling. People tend to use the "left only" lane when going straight as you can get stuck behind a right turning vehicle in the other. When cycling I tend to go as far forward as possible so drivers can see me. Then peg it out as fast as possible and pray that I'll make it. If you're turning right at the next junction it's usually better because you can get stuck on the outside of the lane. Going straight ahead I don't know. Motorists using both lanes at the original junction confuses it a bit. The other option is to hop off and use the pedistrian lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

I don't like the place where Dean St meets Cork St in Dublin 8. Coming from town it's like one and a half lanes!

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

Húrin wrote: »
    I don't like the place where Dean St meets Cork St in Dublin 8. Coming from town it's like one and a half lanes!

yeah i hate that junction i tend to stay in the middle of the road from early on just to let people know im there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Let's find out the bad junctions and we could get a journo to write an article about it !?!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Might be best if ppl link a google map icon to where they're talking about;

I don't like south quays near huestion. Having to cross multiple lanes to go to Castleknock is not fun during rush hour!

Junction of Stillorgan Road, Ailesbury Road and Anglesea Road. Kinda a semi-roundabout going on there. I come up from Ailesbury Road to it, and really the only solution I have is to stop cycling and walk with the bike on the left until I can get to the front of the junction (I'd turn right onto Donnybrook Road).

A few times I've seen the two left lanes being filled with cars, and the two right turning lanes free except for me and my bike (due to congestion).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

This one for me:

Google

The Junction of the N11 and Kill ave.

Cycle lane goes straight, cars turning left (except buses) always assume they have the right of way and come fairly fast into this because it is a wide bend coming off a fast (read: speed breaking) stretch of dual carriagway.

I've taken to just sitting in the cycle lane and waiting for a red light or (safer IMO) hopping into the bus lane early so that cars are aware of you.

Is there an amber flasher there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

You mean a "yield if turning left" kind of jobbie for cars?

As far as I know there is a green light filter, no yield. But some pipe work was done on that stretch of cycle lane so it is half red grippy surface and half badly tarmacced surface with a slight hump.

I think maybe a "motorists yield to cyclists" sign might help because I don't think most drivers know how to treat it.

Also, because it is after a 46A stop, a lot of cars try and get in front of the buses and so accelerate aggressively across the bike lane.

Its really woeful design and I'm amazed (and relieved) there hasn't been a major accident there.

I've never cycled it, but used to drive it on a regular basis and was always wary of that turn. Way too much going on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Junction of Clontarf Rd & Howth Rd.
    Dread it every time.

Cycling straight ahead on a cycle lane shouldn't mean having to dice with death. For some reason, people in cars turning left here are singularly lacking in patience, and will cut you off at will.

Think it has to do with the long wait at the previous junction and their desperation not to get stopped again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

SectionF wrote: »
    Junction of Clontarf Rd & Howth Rd.
    Dread it every time.

Cycling straight ahead on a cycle lane shouldn't mean having to dice with death. For some reason, people in cars turning left here are singularly lacking in patience, and will cut you off at will.

Think it has to do with the long wait at the previous junction and their desperation not to get stopped again.

I know that junction. If you are on a bike and want to go straight on, safest option is for you get into the main lane and take it over.

Edit: as an extra pre-caution, keep looking over your right shoulder as this will get people's attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Myth wrote: »
    Junction of Stillorgan Road, Ailesbury Road and Anglesea Road. Kinda a semi-roundabout going on there. I come up from Ailesbury Road to it, and really the only solution I have is to stop cycling and walk with the bike on the left until I can get to the front of the junction (I'd turn right onto Donnybrook Road).

A few times I've seen the two left lanes being filled with cars, and the two right turning lanes free except for me and my bike (due to congestion).

+1 it's a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭alentejo

Raam wrote: »
    I know that junction. If you are on a bike and want to go straight on, safest option is for you get into the main lane and take it over.

Edit: as an extra pre-caution, keep looking over your right shoulder as this will get people's attention.

Do not like this jct at all. I always notice that most cyclists actually hand-signal right even though they are going straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I have no problems with the Stillorgan Road, Ailesbury Road and Anglesea Road junction from any angle. Just take the lane and wait your turn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

alentejo wrote: »
    Do not like this jct at all. I always notice that most cyclists actually hand-signal right even though they are going straight.
    Then, you probably saw me. (Hint - I'm the one that looks like a Harvey Norman's Christmas tree).

Another feature at that junction is that there's a filter signal for left turning that prohibits traffic from turning left while the pedestrian phase is active for the Howth Road. There's a separate green arrow for straight-on. There's a cycle track (markings partly obscured now following road works.)

So, you're passing stopped left-indicating traffic while riding in the cycle track, and you're intending to go straight. Then the signal changes to allow left turns before you get to the head of the queue. Do the cars give way to moving traffic (cyclists) before they move off and cut across the cycle lane?

I think you know what usually happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Then, you probably saw me.
    Or me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

This is a fairly self explanitory thread.
    D'ya think? Explain dodgly ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Always have trouble with this one. (Stillorgan Road -> Nutley Lane) Had a hairy moment with it last week :eek: [there was lots of beeping]

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.273782,-6.173759&spn=0.001636,0.004828&t=h&z=18

Now I'm a pretty inexperienced cyclist, but it's pretty daunting cutting across 2 lanes of traffic from the cycle track to get into the lane for turning right. Any thoughts?

It's normally fine during quiet times but during rush hour theres rarely a break in traffic (this is how I nearly got run over last week!!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

Hagar wrote: »
    Explain dodgly ?
    It's how you feel after been cut up by a ton of steel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

:confused: What is it's purpose? To discuss the matter or to sympathise with you?
    Hagar wrote: »
    D'ya think? Explain dodgly ?

Some friendly posts from the Mod's to an OP who's first thread/post it was?!? :confused: - Jez lighten up a bit ppl.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mmclo

http://maps.google.com/maps/mm?ie=UTF8&hl=en&ll=53.366815,-6.376104&spn=0.010268,0.038066&z=15

I'm sure anybody in Dublin 15 would vote for this one (Carpenterstown Rd & "The Sandpits"), show to anybody who says never take to the path. Narrow country road, harpin, no room for bikes, loads of traffic, kids on way to school on path...

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Cross+Guns+bridge&sll=53.364754,-6.271176&sspn=0.005519,0.019033&ie=UTF8&z=16

Cross Guns Bridge when taking the towpath on the way back, have to cross all lanes at Dromcondra and move up about 25 metres as crossing the canal as well

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

karmabass wrote: »
    Always have trouble with this one. (Stillorgan Road -> Nutley Lane) Had a hairy moment with it last week :eek: [there was lots of beeping]

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.273782,-6.173759&spn=0.001636,0.004828&t=h&z=18

Now I'm a pretty inexperienced cyclist, but it's pretty daunting cutting across 2 lanes of traffic from the cycle track to get into the lane for turning right. Any thoughts?

It's normally fine during quiet times but during rush hour theres rarely a break in traffic (this is how I nearly got run over last week!!!)
    Use the footbridge about 50m ahead of the junction at the bustop. Madness trying to get from the cycle lane to the right turning lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

mmclo wrote: »
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Cross+Guns+bridge&sll=53.364754,-6.271176&sspn=0.005519,0.019033&ie=UTF8&z=16

Cross Guns Bridge when taking the towpath on the way back, have to cross all lanes at Dromcondra and move up about 25 metres as crossing the canal as well

Ooof, I know that one, it's not nice, especially if you're on the N2 out of town trying to get onto Iona Road :/

I think a more dangerous but less obvious one near there is the junction of New Cabra Road and Old Cabra Road at the base of the Navan Road. When it's gone a bit treacaly it can be very hard to know who has priority, which is pretty dangerous on a bike.

Other nasty ones out there are the roundabout at Auburn Ave and Woodview Park http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Cross+Guns+bridge&sll=53.364754,-6.271176&sspn=0.005519,0.019033&ie=UTF8&ll=53.380154,-6.358359&spn=0.008371,0.015256&z=16 which has a cycle lane bringing bicycles around the edge of a busy roundabout, cutting straight across the main line of traffic, when you should be positioned so that everyone knows what you are doing.

And of course, the 5-way motorway intersection at Snugborough Road vs Blanchardstown Main St. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Cross+Guns+bridge&sll=53.364754,-6.271176&sspn=0.005519,0.019033&ie=UTF8&ll=53.391442,-6.38222&spn=0.008369,0.015256&z=16 is pretty horrible too. Sit in front of everyone and as soon as you're green and see a clear passage, spin like roadrunner!

That said, I've never seen anywhere in Dublin thats really really horrible in the same way as Holland Park Roundabout and Shepards Bush Common in London, which is completely unavoidable on that route, and is the cyclists definition of hell. (Look at the sattelite images!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

mmclo wrote: »
    http://maps.google.com/maps/mm?ie=UTF8&hl=en&ll=53.366815,-6.376104&spn=0.010268,0.038066&z=15

I'm sure anybody in Dublin 15 would vote for this one (Carpenterstown Rd & "The Sandpits"), show to anybody who says never take to the path. Narrow country road, hairpin, no room for bikes, loads of traffic, kids on way to school on path...

+1 for that (although I still don't take to the path). It's made even worse by the fact that most people don't signal correctly because they don't look at the signage and the traffic lights properly (or they just don't bother to signal at all) and so you can never be sure who's going where.

Helpfully, Fingal County Council recently added arrows on the road surface that contradict the signage and the traffic lights. I emailed them about it and they said they'd look into it. (There's a similar contradiction on the Castleknock Road at its junction with the Castleknock gate to the Phoenix Park.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

Verb wrote: »
    Let's find out the bad junctions and we could get a journo to write an article about it !?!?!?

Thats the impression I got from the original post - journalist, first time posting, looking for info on an article. Just the impression - I didnt say I couldnt be wrong.

Advertisement