Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Agreeing to a price that was too expensive

Options
  • 22-11-2008 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭

I think mods need to tighten up this sub forum a bit

Agreeing to a price that in your opinion was too expensive is not a consumer issue

A business can put whatever price they want on items, its up to you if you pay or not
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

I think mods need to tighten up this sub forum a bit

Agreeing to a price that in your opinion was too expensive is not a consumer issue

A business can put whatever price they want on items, its up to you if you pay or not

100% couldn't agree more. people better start haggling more it works

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

100% couldn't agree more. people better start haggling more it works

Where do i haggle for a better price on my carton of orange juice?
    Going to the customer service desk in Tesco, has anyone tried haggling on price in their local supermarket?

snubbleste wrote: »
    Going to the customer service desk in Tesco, has anyone tried haggling on price in their local supermarket?

ah come on now don't be so daft. anyways people in supermarkets haggle for items that are slightly damaged offering a lesser price, its up to the store to throw it out or get some money in the till for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

snubbleste wrote: »

haggling a side, the price is there, pay it or don't, but don't pay for it then b1tch
    (not directed specifically at you ;) )

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

have to agree with this, alot of stupid pointless threads on this lately and whats even funnier is alot of the people pay the money and still complaint, if I am selling a watch which normnally costs 200e but I have it on sale for 5000e nobody has to buy the thing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,378 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yeah sort of need a sticky "WERE YOU RIPPED OFF", and then explain why they were not in fact ripped off at all, but willingly paid for something which they just consider expensive. And a sticky with something like "SO YOU SAW SOMETHING CHEAP UP NORTH, WHO CARES", but also explain all the reasons why, VAT, distribution etc, and point out that shopping up north is actually uneconomical for many. The fuel costs to go up are huge, also how long did it take 2, 3, 4 hours? if you worked that as overtime what would you have "saved"?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

What amuses me is that people only think that the shops who are foolish enough to put dual pricing on labels are ripping them off.

Nobody seems to think that Aldi & Lidl are ripping them off by charging more than in another country and that's because there isn't an obvious price comparison.

parsi wrote: »
    Nobody seems to think that Aldi & Lidl are ripping them off by charging more than in another country and that's because there isn't an obvious price comparison.
    Ahh FFS!, now we are going to have them all looking up aldi & lidl's german sites for prices and moaning ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Far too many threads comparing UK and Irish prices and zero comparison of wages, cost and especially VAT since it's being increased here

But maybe this forum would die a slow death without these rants......

parsi wrote: »
    What amuses me is that people only think that the shops who are foolish enough to put dual pricing on labels are ripping them off.

ha ha thats it let the trap off and stand back and watch with laughter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

micmclo wrote: »
    especially VAT since it's being increased here

Not until December first, take advantage of the eight days left.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭JohnC.

micmclo wrote: »
    Far too many threads comparing UK and Irish prices and zero comparison of wages, cost and especially VAT since it's being increased here

And just announced to be decreasing in the UK. This'll be fun :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

dh0661 wrote: »
    Not until December first, take advantage of the eight days left.

Oh I know, I posted it was being increased, it's still 21%

Remember folks, be patriotic when you go shopping, it's expected of you :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

haggling a side, the price is there, pay it or don't, but don't pay for it then b1tch
    (not directed specifically at you ;) )

The way I see it, is that if you buy something that you think is 'overpriced', you give up the right to moan.

If you don't but it, because you think it is too expensive, then you can moan about the price.

Vote with your feet. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Kahless wrote: »
    And just announced to be decreasing in the UK. This'll be fun :D

And Gormley, not content with trying to harness the power of his moral superiority to fuel cars, has said that the Government should look at ways of stemming the flow of shoppers to the North. This is after Harney gave out to us for not shopping around.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhidqlgbgbau/

eoin_s wrote: »
    This is after Harney gave out to us for not shopping around.
    In fairness when they say "shop around" I do not think any politician means buy from other countries, contributing to their VAT rather than ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

rubadub wrote: »
    In fairness when they say "shop around" I do not think any politician means buy from other countries, contributing to their VAT rather than ours.

OK, fair enough - but trying to skim over the issue, rather than address the reason why people are willing to go up North seems quite short sighted. Of course we have less money, because income tax plus VAT has been increased by his government.

He needs to stick to what he's slightly less bad at, and not get involved in this kind of stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

eoin_s wrote: »
    He needs to stick to what he's slightly less bad at, and not get involved in this kind of stuff.

Once again, Gormley proves what a clueless fool he is by saying "Speaking to reporters in Dublin today, the minister said it was important for Ireland the UK to ensure their actions are "in sync" to ensure neither gains a competitive advantage.". Eh, welcome to the real world Minister. The UK have had the advantage of lower VAT and lower prices since, forever.

It has always been cheaper to get things from the UK than Ireland. Even look in any department store with dual pricing ans you'll see that on the most basic of items.

Advertisement